Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
When I get my new 27" I'm thinking about trying to boot from an external SSD. Now, clearly, Thunderbolt is faster than USB 3, I understand that, but what I'm wondering is if anyone here has ever done a real world comparison between the two. For example, I think one of the LaCie SSDs comes with both TB and USB connections, has anyone tried booting/running their OS from it in both modes and compared the two?

Is the difference noticeable in real world usage, and if so, how much worse is USB?

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
When I get my new 27" I'm thinking about trying to boot from an external SSD. Now, clearly, Thunderbolt is faster than USB 3, I understand that, but what I'm wondering is if anyone here has ever done a real world comparison between the two. For example, I think one of the LaCie SSDs comes with both TB and USB connections, has anyone tried booting/running their OS from it in both modes and compared the two?

Is the difference noticeable in real world usage, and if so, how much worse is USB?

USB is less reliable and CPU dependant... search mac mini section and you will find answers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.