Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
My new 2012 MacMini is doing sterling work as a compact render machine, but the rest of the system becomes almost unusable when it's got Compressor running at 96% on the CPU.
Is this normal?
Never happened on the old MacPro I had.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
probably not enough....basic 4GB

----------

today I went to upgrade some apps on the app store, same thing, CPU ramping up and down to 100% and system unusable.

even the clock doesn't update properly!

Numbers is taking 45 mins to upgrade!

Last edited:

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
And does your Mini have 10.8.1 or the 'old' 10.8.2 or the 'newer' 10.8.2?

My basic 2012 mini did great except for Barclays iBank website where Safari would eat 3GB of Safari Web Content whilst trying to render whatever Barclays were doing in java. I bought a single 8GB stick to improve things. (although actually the mini system was still responsive - just Safari was beachballing & hung) With the new 10GB system RAM I was unimpressed to see Barclays iBank taking 8GB of Safari Web Content - at least that left an improved 2GB for the rest of the mini!
I solved the problem by using Chrome for Barclays bank, runs great. I have FCPX on the mini but haven't had time to play yet and see what I need to buy next....

woodbine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
solved it actually, stupid Compressor was running about six instances, even though the job had finished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.