Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows the best way (cost efficient/best hardware options) to upgrade a Mac Mini. I saw a popular tech reviewer upgrade his (new SSD, etc) but maybe someone in this community has done it differently.

Whats your current Mac Mini setup and/or how have you upgraded your Mac Mini and which parts did you choose?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows the best way (cost efficient/best hardware options) to upgrade a Mac Mini. I saw a popular tech reviewer upgrade his (new SSD, etc) but maybe someone in this community has done it differently.

Whats your current Mac Mini setup and/or how have you upgraded your Mac Mini and which parts did you choose?

Mine is pretty standard, but I swapped one of the hard drives for a 60GB SSD and made a Fusion drive (500GB HDD and 60GB SSD). Planning on 8GB of RAM soon, and maybe later swap the SSD and HDD for larger ones OR (preferably) two larger SSDs; I'm thinking two 180GB or 240GB SSDs in RAID-0 would be sweet. :D (I have a server for storage, so the smaller size isn't a big deal)

Which model mini are you referring to?

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Its whatever would be the most popular to personally upgrade (newest models of course) If its the 500Gb version + adding an SSD for a fusion drive then thats what i will do. If more people prefer upgrading other models then Id have to go with that.

Im not exactly an expert on this kind of stuff and that why im asking for advice (i need it lol)

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Gotcha - mine is actually the old model (2009); actually a lot harder to crack open than the current style. One consideration - if you were to purchase a NEW one, you could potentially lose your Applecare by opening the case to install any drive. That being said, yes - Fusion drive does seem to have the best of both worlds benefits. :D

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

Most cost efficient way to upgrade would start with 16 gigs of RAM.

If you are in need of more drive space there are a few options -

1) Seagate Momentus hybrid (cheapest light weight version of "Fusion").

2) Any 7200 RPM drive vs the pathetic 5400 RPM that Apple is now using.

3) Make your own Fusion combo with SSD + native drive or replace with 7200 RPM drive.

4) Skip the mechanical drive altogether and go with direct SSD's (two).

As for me, I have the last model server edition and replaced both drives with OWC SSDs. I couldn't be happier.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I have a late 2009 Mini - 2.53GHz / 4GB / 320GB HDD.

They're a little difficult to get into, but with a well-chiselled putty knife and careful attention to the iFixit guides it's straightforward. Much easier than a 12in PowerBook IMO.

I upgraded the RAM to 8GB (Crucial) and a little later replaced the optical drive with a Crucial M4 128GB in a Nimitz caddy; leaving me with the SSD for OS X, applications and some data and the HDD for most of the data (and I left the Bootcamp partition on the HDD as I use it rarely and couldn't be bothered reinstalling on the SSD).

A huge difference in performance for both of those upgrades but for anyone with a similar model I'd suggest doing it in that order (RAM, then SSD).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.