Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I made a 10.8 USB bootable drive on a 8gb stick when mountain lion first came out. I used this to boot off of multiple times, as recent as a few days ago. Always worked perfect. Suddenly it's not working any more. It will either show efi boot or nothing at all, confirmed in multiple macs. Any idea what gives?

Thanks!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Try repairing it in Disk Utility, or do a safe boot on this, if nothing helps and there is nothing on it you need reinstall the OS on it and see if it works, if not the USB stick is dead.

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I think you're right, I'm starting to think it's the USB stick. I'm going to try it on another one and see what happens....

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Well that didn't do the trick. I'm still getting the efi boot option only, not the usual orange USB logo to boot from. I'm really at a loss here any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Opened the install mountain lion folder in applications, navigated to the installesd dmg file in sharedaupport, dragged it to sidebar in disk utility, restored to partition on USB stick.

That's how I've always done it, it's always been so simple... I even tried redownloading ml, thinking the dl may be corrupt....

Baffled....

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Opened the install mountain lion folder in applications, navigated to the installesd dmg file in sharedaupport, dragged it to sidebar in disk utility, restored to partition on USB stick.

That's how I've always done it, it's always been so simple... I even tried redownloading ml, thinking the dl may be corrupt....

Baffled....

Dead USB stick.

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Just went out and bought a new one this morning. Same thing happened. I'll just give up on it for now... Thx for trying though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.