Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
First off just got my new iphone 5 today and I love it. This thing is so fast at everything it does. There was a small scuff on the side but how can you complain when you put a case on it anyways.

My question is here in Chicago I am pulling around 4-9 mbps down and 5-7 up on LTE. This is not very good. So i decided to turn off LTE and try out the 4G network. I was pulling 9-10 down and 2 up.

So I guess my question is besides having a better upload speed, is there any real reason to use the slower LTE over the 4G network? Battery life, or anything along those lines?

Thanks all.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
First off just got my new iphone 5 today and I love it. This thing is so fast at everything it does. There was a small scuff on the side but how can you complain when you put a case on it anyways.

My question is here in Chicago I am pulling around 4-9 mbps down and 5-7 up on LTE. This is not very good. So i decided to turn off LTE and try out the 4G network. I was pulling 9-10 down and 2 up.

So I guess my question is besides having a better upload speed, is there any real reason to use the slower LTE over the 4G network? Battery life, or anything along those lines?

Thanks all.

If those are indeed the speeds you are experiencing, just stay on the 4G network. 9-10 download speeds are pretty decent, should be able to carry you through your daily usage without any lag or problems.

Maybe you'd see an increase in battery life, but it will be very slight. No fuss in this aspect.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
it's the same thing man, once you're over 3mbps it just becomes a number if you're doing basic activities (browsing, instagram,twitter,facebook, etc...)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
it's the same thing man, once you're over 3mbps it just becomes a number if you're doing basic activities (browsing, instagram,twitter,facebook, etc...)

Lol I thought it needs around 5mbps or something. I could live with 3G my whole life if I get this kind of speeds. :cool:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Thanks all.

4G and LTE is the same thing. If you're on a network like AT&T, then they advertise HSPA+ as being 4G, but it's actually like 3.5G.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Lol I thought it needs around 5mbps or something. I could live with 3G my whole life if I get this kind of speeds. :cool:

You can perform most applications with a consistent 1-2 Mbps down and up.

Flyer729

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
I'm getting 20+ Mbps here in Denver and around 5 Mbps when on HSPA+. I use LTE all the time because it loads everything so fast, but with HSPA being around 5, I wouldn't mind using that all the time to get better battery life.

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
well oddly enough I am getting better results in the middle of the day. Now pulling 13 down on LTE and only 2 on 4g.... so strange

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
well oddly enough I am getting better results in the middle of the day. Now pulling 13 down on LTE and only 2 on 4g.... so strange

Have to do with how much web traffic there is at that time. If its very congested and there are many users, naturally it'll be slightly slower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.