Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonMcDonald

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Hey guys,

Just a couple questions. I have a MacBook Pro that I'm going to list locally for sell tomorrow. Specs are as follows...

2.2GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB
Software OS X 10.8.2
500 GB HDD

EDIT:
(includes original box, and all of the original contents of the box, and apple care until Feb. 2015).

I'm hoping to get $1,200 out of this, is that reasonable?

Second question: I upgraded to Mountain Lion, and that is what is installed now...if somebody buys it from me will they need to purchase Mountain Lion in order to be able to use it?

Thanks,

Jon

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.
I upgraded to Mountain Lion, and that is what is installed now...if somebody buys it from me will they need to purchase Mountain Lion in order to be able to use it?
The ML installed is tied to your Apple ID. If you leave that on the system, they might need your Apple ID to apply updates or reinstall the OS. A better approach is to restore the OS version that shipped with your computer, then let the buyer upgrade to ML using their own Apple ID.

JonMcDonald

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I rebooted, and reinstalled the OS but it turns out it installed Mountain Lion. However it is working alright without being associated with a Apple ID. So I will sell with the disclaimer that to use some of the features (such as the Messages app) they will need an Apple ID that owns ML.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys,

Just a couple questions. I have a MacBook Pro that I'm going to list locally for sell tomorrow. Specs are as follows...

2.2GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB
Software OS X 10.8.2
500 GB HDD

EDIT:
(includes original box, and all of the original contents of the box, and apple care until Feb. 2015).

Second question: I upgraded to Mountain Lion, and that is what is installed now...if somebody buys it from me will they need to purchase Mountain Lion in order to be able to use it?

Thanks,

Jon

Regarding your first question: Yes, I'd say that's reasonable.

Regarding your second question: No, if you have Mountain Lion installed, someone else will still be able to use it. They just won't be able to invoke a Mountain Lion Recovery install unless they themselves have purchased Mountain Lion as well. I'd say wipe and do a fresh install of Mountain Lion and leave it to them to either have it or not. Or you could invoke Lion Internet Recovery (via firmware) and go back to Lion, but I don't see what the point of that is other than extra legality that no one (not even Apple) will care that much about.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say.....

$1300-1400 tops can be a good asking price. AppleCare still running helps, but then, also helps no comestic/functional issues and good care of the machine.

If selling through an online site, dont forgot the shipping costs/fees

:):apple:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Just sold a 15inch 2.4 late 2011 MBP with Anti-Glare - no AppleCare - still has original warranty until Jan 7th 2013. Perfect condition.

I got $1400 on CL - in a city of 1 million people

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.