Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbacabMR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I'm getting the new IPT5 this weekend as I will be going downtown to the Apple store. I was thinking about getting the red one but I much prefer the black front IPT5.

I know I can buy the black one and put a coloured case on it but I'd rather not.

I was wondering if anyone who got the 'non black' IPT5 (white front) have any regrets ... is the white contour annoying after a while ?

Tks,

mrskb

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan
My IPT 4g was white, as is my IPT 5g. I don't notice any problem with it being white verses black.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I prefer the black - the white border just seems pointless to me, as in the photo of my Nano next to the black ipt5 here:

2012-11-13%252012.37.56.jpg

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I prefer the black - the white border just seems pointless to me, as in the photo of my Nano next to the black ipt5 here:

That would be because you've selectively chosen an application with a dark background. I prefer the white for the homescreen, menus, web browsing, and some album art. The black is preferable with dark apps, when the device is off, some album art, and videos. It's really a tossup.

I have a white iPod touch 4th gen and would get a black 5th if i was given the option, just for the sake of change. I wish they offered all the colors with the choice of a white or black front. I'd really like the blue with a black front. I guess that would be a logistical nightmare for Apple, though.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
That would be because you've selectively chosen an application with a dark background. I prefer the white for the homescreen, menus, web browsing, and some album art. The black is preferable with dark apps, when the device is off, some album art, and videos. It's really a tossup.

I have a white iPod touch 4th gen and would get a black 5th if i was given the option, just for the sake of change. I wish they offered all the colors with the choice of a white or black front. I'd really like the blue with a black front. I guess that would be a logistical nightmare for Apple, though.

Agree 100%. I had a black iPod Tough 4th Gen, so I got the white 5th for the sake of change too. Change is nice. Makes the device feel that much more different and new. :cool:

riptide747

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I would LOVE to see the new colors come in black fronts (which is what will probably be the next "revolutionary update" for the iPod Touch since the major upgrades only come in every 2 years) The white fronts do not go well with the black camera and it may just be me, but I can't stand having a little black dot on the which front, which is why I bought the black iPod Touch 5g, even though I would have preferred a different color.

akfgpuppet

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
The 831
Had a white iPod Touch and it looked very cool, however since it was in my pocket most of the time small amounts of dirt were visible, not really a problem but the black one would look better IMO.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
black will probably be better for the time being because letterbox in some apps will not look so obvious as is on the white.

AbacabMR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Many thanks for all your replies and advice. It's much appreciated. I haven't been to the Apple store this past weekend as I am going downtown on the 22nd for a day of 'Xmas immersion' with zero shopping to do.... except that black iPod touch 5 ;-) My wife has convinced me that since I was buying this so close to Xmas... I might as well go for it just for Xmas day.

My choice will be the black one after all. As one mentioned, probably next year the 'upgrade' will be colours with either white or black... although I think that would make it harder to figure out how much of each model to stock.

Tks again all !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.