Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
is there a way one can a new dictionary to the iOS 6 dictionary when I select a word and say define ?

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
No, you can't but you can download many other dictionaries from the App Store.

What I mean here is not downloading a Dictionary like an APP but when you select a word while reading a book or any other text and if u wanna know the meaning of that word and when u select that word and select define the meaning that it gives the in-built/default dictionary that it uses I am talking about replacing that Dictionary !!

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
What I mean here is not downloading a Dictionary like an APP but when you select a word while reading a book or any other text and if u wanna know the meaning of that word and when u select that word and select define the meaning that it gives the in-built/default dictionary that it uses I am talking about replacing that Dictionary !!

I know what you meant and I answered accordingly.
You can't replace the built in Dictionary!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

nope you cannot replace the dictionary AFAIK
what did you want to replace it with?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I think you can do that. For instance, I'm German and every time I set up my iPhone as new and then have it define a word in a language other than German it asks me if I want to download a dictionary.

You could just go into Notes and type a word in another language and then tap and hold on it and choose Define to see if it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.