Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YAOMTC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I just recently got a Macbook Pro (my first Mac!), and I've been trying different media players. I have some particular requirements for what it needs:

• Replay Gain support
  • Ogg Vorbis/FLAC support
  • Streaming
  • Lightweight (like, less than 15% CPU when playing)

Cog and Vox are both lightweight and support ogg and flac, but don't do streaming, and I'm not sure about Replay Gain. Clementine and Banshee meet the first three requirements, but use around 25% of the CPU when playing.

I believe VLC meets all my requirements, technically, but I've never been comfortable using it as a music player. It's always been a video player for me. Its playlists still aren't great, like how I don't have the ability to randomize a playlist, or configure columns, or how it's not kept when I quit.

I have an Eee PC 900 with Arch Linux that runs Audacious great, and there's other choices I have there too. On my desktop I run Windows 7, where I use foobar2000. These are pretty much my perfect music players, and there doesn't seem to be anything like these on OS X.

YAOMTC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Yeah, judging by my own fruitless searches and the lack of response here, I think the large majority of people who actually care about this stuff are either on Windows or Linux. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.