Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Niko91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Italy
Hi everybody :D
I was what can be easily called an Apple fanboy, even if I followed news of Android, just for curiosity.
Well, in these days, my confusion reached its peak.

I have an iPhone 4S, but I'm kind of dissatisfied with what apple have done so far and I'm fascinated by Google's new smartphone, the Nexus 4. It's sexy and Android Jelly Bean is, for me, something like fresh air.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm doing the right thing.

I have a Retina MacBook Pro and don't really know if the Nexus 4 will enter flawlessly in my "technology ecosystem" or not.

I don't use many 3rd party apps from the App store, but if I need something, I know that the Apple App Store is better then Google Play.

I've seen also that Google Now is better then Siri (at least for me: Google Now's notifications are simply.. wow.)

I don't really know what to do.
I'm afraid that if I sell my iPhone and go with Nexus 4, I'll regret that.

Sooo.. I need your help :D
Thank you!

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I was what can be easily called an Apple fanboy, even if I followed news of Android, just for curiosity.

I have an iPhone 4S, but I'm kind of dissatisfied with what apple have done so far and I'm fascinated by Google's new smartphone, the Nexus 4. It's sexy and Android Jelly Bean is, for me, something like fresh air.

I have a Retina MacBook Pro and don't really know if the Nexus 4 will enter flawlessly in my "technology ecosystem" or not.

I don't use many 3rd party apps from the App store, but if I need something, I know that the Apple App Store is better then Google Play.

I've seen also that Google Now is better then Siri (at least for me: Google Now's notifications are simply.. wow.)

Thank you!

Are you using the iPhone to control anything in your ecosystem? For example, I have an iMac and iPad, and I switched from the iPhone 5 to the Nexus 4. However, I never used the iPhone for anything that my iPad or iMac couldn't do, so I was never fully embedded into the "Apple ecosystem" as it was extremely easy for me to get out of it.

So basically, it really depends on how much you utilize the iPhone in your ecosystem. Good luck!

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
If you get the nexus 4 at the proper price you can resell if you dont like even for more selling overseas on ebay.

Got the iphone 4s also and recently finally recieved the nexus 4 and im in love, i cant say the apps on the iphone are better or worse because i only have a few things installed so far :) but the ones i have work the same way.

Battery life imo is better than the 4s plus have a bigger screen wich is pretty damm good and sharp, its joy for browsing and youtube.

Data speeds for me are better not sure why, maybe my carrier was messing with me lol

Cant comment on google now and could care less honestly, the OS (jellybean) its superb and smooth/fluid :eek: yet to feel any lag, of course you know about the widgets with is subjective either you find use for it or not :) you can have shortcuts like sbsettings without the need to mess with the OS/rooting and the google services seems to be really well done/built in.

You only live once mate, go ahead and jump :p whats the worst that can happend ?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
If you go for Nexus 4, just keep in mind that the battery life and camera are so-so. They are a tad weaker than the 4S.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
If you go for Nexus 4, just keep in mind that the battery life and camera are so-so. They are a tad weaker than the 4S.

Not based on my side by side evaluations. I get very good battery life and pictures from both my iPhone & Nexus 4.

My Nexus 4 integrates perfectly with my full on Apple ecosystem. Including my Mac Pro Server, which all my Macs and Windows computers interface with. Apple's Calendar, Contacts, Notes, you name it, all sync just fine.

Using both iOS and Android concurrently is fun and interesting. I like variety, choices, and to stay current with the latest in mobile technologies. Running both platforms is a great way to accomplish that.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012

Thank you!

As usual, I will suggest what I always do. Try Android and if you like it, sell your 4s and get an ipod touch. I really don't understand why so many have such a hard time grasping the fact that the touch does everything their iPhone does aside from calling.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Not based on my side by side evaluations. I get very good battery life and pictures from both my iPhone & Nexus 4.

My Nexus 4 integrates perfectly with my full on Apple ecosystem. Including my Mac Pro Server, which all my Macs and Windows computers interface with. Apple's Calendar, Contacts, Notes, you name it, all sync just fine.

Using both iOS and Android concurrently is fun and interesting. I like variety, choices, and to stay current with the latest in mobile technologies. Running both platforms is a great way to accomplish that.

Well I find outdoor pictures looks a lot better than the N4 with the 4S. Indoor in a very dark setting, the N4 looks better. As for battery, well I guess one could be better than the other depending on usage.

In terms of integrations, if you use Google and Dropbox, there are zero problems in my opinion.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
As usual, I will suggest what I always do. Try Android and if you like it, sell your 4s and get an ipod touch. I really don't understand why so many have such a hard time grasping the fact that the touch does everything their iPhone does aside from calling.

It's also not a hard concept to grasp that the Nexus 4 does essentially everything the iPod Touch does outside of iCloud integration.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Are you using the iPhone to control anything in your ecosystem? For example, I have an iMac and iPad, and I switched from the iPhone 5 to the Nexus 4. However, I never used the iPhone for anything that my iPad or iMac couldn't do, so I was never fully embedded into the "Apple ecosystem" as it was extremely easy for me to get out of it.

So basically, it really depends on how much you utilize the iPhone in your ecosystem. Good luck!

I feel like a lot of that changed with Mountain Lion....it added so many features that do sync between your phone and mac, and you will lose a lot of them not having an iphone. Some examples are imessaging, notfications, reminders, airplay

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
It's also not a hard concept to grasp that the Nexus 4 does essentially everything the iPod Touch does outside of iCloud integration.

He's obviously concerned about leaving the Apple ecosystem. The Nexus 4 doesn't integrate with idevices nor does it feature the App store. The touch does. So I was just pointing out he doesn't have to give up iOS just because he doesn't have an iPhone

Niko91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Italy
Thank you everybody!
The more I think about it, the more I realize that maybe it will only be a waste of time.
The thing is: I can do everything I want with my iPhone. I'm just bored and would like to try something new, with a larger screen.
Something that, probably, will be used the same way I used the iPhone.
So, is it really worth it?
Probably not.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Thank you everybody!
The more I think about it, the more I realize that maybe it will only be a waste of time.
The thing is: I can do everything I want with my iPhone. I'm just bored and would like to try something new, with a larger screen.
Probably not.

I went through the same thing, but I learned that the Bordum was just everything working perfect haha. Don't fix was is not broken, and why sacrifice convenience to make something work? Obviously everyone is different, but you do see a lot of people who are heavily invested in the apple eco sysyem make the switch and then make the switch back.

tiiim

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
While not a Nexus 4, I recently purchased a nexus 7 and I am someone who invested a lot of time and money in the Apple eco system. TBH Android does have a short amount of re-training involved but after that I really like it. I spent a short while configuring so calendars, contacts, notes, bookmarks etc sync between my iPhone, Mac and Nexus 7. If you google it you can also find a trick to sync your photos via automatically uploading to Dropbox and getting automator on the Mac to auto check and import to iPhoto.

After using Android for a short while I can say i'm deffo impressed. I am stuck with the iPhone due to contract reasons but I wouldn't mind switching when contract ends.

I know you were looking at a Nexus 4, but I'm glad I have tested Android it has broaden my mind and while you can't sync your apps from iOS (but can from Android to Android), for me it was not as painful as I was led to believe.

I see nothing wrong in testing Android and if you don't like it return the device within the time. :)

But I would test Android before you commit but be prepared to sit and learn for a few hours. :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
While not a Nexus 4, I recently purchased a nexus 7 and I am someone who invested a lot of time and money in the Apple eco system. TBH Android does have a short amount of re-training involved but after that I really like it. I spent a short while configuring so calendars, contacts, notes, bookmarks etc sync between my iPhone, Mac and Nexus 7. If you google it you can also find a trick to sync your photos via automatically uploading to Dropbox and getting automator on the Mac to auto check and import to iPhoto.

After using Android for a short while I can say i'm deffo impressed. I am stuck with the iPhone due to contract reasons but I wouldn't mind switching when contract ends.

I know you were looking at a Nexus 4, but I'm glad I have tested Android it has broaden my mind and while you can't sync your apps from iOS (but can from Android to Android), for me it was not as painful as I was led to believe.

I see nothing wrong in testing Android and if you don't like it return the device within the time. :)

But I would test Android before you commit but be prepared to sit and learn for a few hours. :)

I totally agree about using dropbox...plus it can actually auto upload and do videos unlike photo stream. What do you mean you are in contract? You are never in contract with apple...just the carrier to maintain service for 2 years. You could easily buy the nexus 4 for $350 and break even with a 4S and make $200 with an iphone 5

tiiim

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
You could easily buy the nexus 4 for $350 and break even with a 4S and make $200 with an iphone 5

I know I been having that "conversation" with myself every day lol :) I could easily ditch the iPhone and get a Nexus 4. :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I know I been having that "conversation" with myself every day lol :) I could easily ditch the iPhone and get a Nexus 4. :)

I tried the n4 out, and ended up keeping the iphone b.c everything was just easier since I am in the apple eco-system. One of the hardest things was the potential money I could have made. Iphones were going for $700 on my local craigslist at that time b.c they were still short on stock :(

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Thank you everybody!
Probably not.

If you just want to try something new, try a Nexus 7 or something along those lines.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
I tried the n4 out, and ended up keeping the iphone b.c everything was just easier since I am in the apple eco-system. One of the hardest things was the potential money I could have made. Iphones were going for $700 on my local craigslist at that time b.c they were still short on stock :(

Why couldn't you keep the N4 and then get an ipod touch for you iOS ecosystem? It does everything the iPhone does.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Why couldn't you keep the N4 and then get am ipod touch for you iOS ecosystem?

that just seems silly. I use reminders, notes, calendars, imessage...all of that stuff i want with me on the go. Plus then you are talking about breaking even to "make it work". The eco system goes beyond just my house :)

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
that just seems silly. I use reminders, notes, calendars, imessage...all of that stuff i want with me on the go. Plus then you are talking about breaking even to "make it work"

Why is it silly? The touch does all that too. There is not one thing I can't do with mine I could with my iphone

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Why is it silly? The touch does all that too. There is not one thing I can't do with mine I could with my iphone

uhhh..make phone calls. Why use two devices when one can do it all? That is what I mean about being silly. I prefer the "icloud" interface to the google one and I have a lot of money invested in itunes. For me, it would make things more complicated. There was not a single benefit I gained from using the n4...everything was a compromise. The looks of the phone, screen, and jelly bean are good....but I don't use widgets and don't care too much about customization. I want everything in my household to sync together easily...even if I am away from home. As i type this on a chromebook haha.

on a side note....easily the best $250 I have spent. If you just want something to surf the web on/forum on and need a keyboard, get a chromebook!

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
There is a lot you can't do on the go with an iPod touch because it lacks cellular data.

That's why you tether it from your Android phone. I even use it as a phone with Skype or talkatone. Again, I can do anything with the iPod Touch I could with my iphone and I don't have to pay a carrier's fee

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It would please so many people if Apple just offered more screen size options and allowed a little bit more freedom with iOS.

They do it with almost everything else in their lineup, and they allow OSX to be more open.

iOS would own if it was more OSX-like: freedom with Apple security. My god...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.