Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
The iPhone 5 will be released here on Friday, and I am wrestling with myself should I get it or not.

I have an available upgrade on one of my accounts, and closing it or keeping it going really doesn't make much of a difference to me.

On the other hand, I don't want to be a lemming and get it just for the sake of getting it.

The one major putoff is the fact that there is no JB - and I can't imagind not using NCsettings and a couple of other small tweaks.

People that went from 4S to 5, what say you? Were you left with a good feeling after the transition, or buyers remorse?

Thanks all.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If its not a big deal just stick with the 4S and use the upgrade for the 5S/6/whatever. The 4S is a good phone and software wise the only thing 5 has over it is picture while doing a video. I'm hanging onto my 4S until the next iPhone.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Even coming from the 4s the 5 is a completely different phone. most of everything is upgraded. if i had an upgrade i would make the jump. i dont think the next years model will be a huge change from the 5... obviously.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I have a 4S and chose not to get the 5. Only real benefit is LTE and my speeds are already good on hspa+. And you're right about the JB, it's not worth losing it for iOS6. For me the benefits didn't outweigh the costs.

adm.hpe

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
The iPhone 5 will be released here on Friday, and I am wrestling with myself should I get it or not.

I have an available upgrade on one of my accounts, and closing it or keeping it going really doesn't make much of a difference to me.

On the other hand, I don't want to be a lemming and get it just for the sake of getting it.

The one major putoff is the fact that there is no JB - and I can't imagind not using NCsettings and a couple of other small tweaks.

People that went from 4S to 5, what say you? Were you left with a good feeling after the transition, or buyers remorse?

Thanks all.

Get it. iPhone 5.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
The iOS devices hold their value well enough that you can usually sell yours for almost the upgrade price each year. In that case, upgrading annually can sometimes make sense as its cost-neutral for you.

But considering the change to the Lightning port on the 5, and the impact this may have on your wired ecosystem (car audio, bedside docking, etc), I would personally run the numbers and see if you ONLY have to purchase the 5, or if in reality you need the 5 and a bunch of other ecosystem upgrades....or a bunch of spare adapter cables.

Personally, I have a 5 but the rest of the family is going to go from 4S to 5S because the 5 will be "last years' model) in 6-8 months.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Upgrading every version is never "worth it" imho.

The 4s still runs fine. Unless you desperately need that extra row of icons or LTE (which has fairly limited coverage where i live), wait for the next model. Or the one after that. I was still rocking a 3g-s until it broke 6 months ago. It still worked fine.

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I wouldn't, it's not a big enough performance.
I didn't upgrade, unlike 99% of the I-Upgrade-Whenever-I-Can Members on here.
Next year when newer software is here with better specs, than you could consider upgrading.
Phones can last more than a year, even tho you can sell them to even out the costs of the newer device.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom

Thanks all.

I am very happy, the weight makes a big difference and so does the extra screen space. Maps also is much smoother, especially in 3D.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

The 4s still runs fine. Unless you desperately need that extra row of icons or LTE (which has fairly limited coverage where i live), wait for the next model. Or the one after that. I was still rocking a 3g-s until it broke 6 months ago. It still worked fine.

just because your phone still works doesnt mean its not worth it to upgrade.i havent bought a iphone since my 3g. i keep upgrading and it covers the cost of the phone. you cant sell a 3 year old device for the same cost. 2 year old iphones tend to go around the same price if they are unlocked. ive been upgrading every two years without out of pocket.
Also some people like getting newer faster things even though the phones they have still work fine. i upgraded my tv even though my old one worked fine. There are other reason people upgrade their things.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Also some people like getting newer faster things even though the phones they have still work fine. i upgraded my tv even though my old one worked fine. There are other reason people upgrade their things.

I don't dispute that. But if you're that person it doesn't matter. You shouldn't even be asking the question. You've likely bought the device already.

To be "worth it", imho comes down to this:

1. what will the new device do that the old device will not
  2. is that worth the cost to upgrade

in terms of 1 - not much. In terms of 2 - obviously that's a personal thing, but imho, no....

Put it this way: my phones are paid for by work (it's a work phone). Being one of the company nerds, I can upgrade to whatever new phone we're buying if i want in the name of needing to be current to support our users.

In other words, i could get an iphone 5 for free.

I haven't bothered yet.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

It's never worth it? I bought the 4S for $350 when it came out and when I upgraded to the iPhone 5 I sold the 4S for $400. So it's not worth it?

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Obviously the money from selling the 4S paid for the 5 and I made a profit of $50. You tell me somewhere you can upgrade for free.

So wait....

You purchased the 4s for $350
Sold the 4s for $400

Ok that is $50 profit there.

How did you purchase an iPhone 5 for $50 and make $50?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
So wait....

You purchased the 4s for $350
Sold the 4s for $400

Ok that is $50 profit there.

How did you purchase an iPhone 5 for $50 and make $50?

You obviously didn't read the part where I said the money from selling the 4S paid for the 5.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
You obviously didn't read the part where I said the money from selling the 4S paid for the 5.

It's never worth it? I bought the 4S for $350 when it came out and when I upgraded to the iPhone 5 I sold the 4S for $400. So it's not worth it?

Don't see where you said that. So how much did you sell the 4s for!?!?! Had to make a killing to cover the $350+ iphone 5 and make a $50 profit.

Well guess if you sold the 4s for $600 you could purchase the 16gb iPhone 5. Good job finding someone to buy your phone for $600 but don't think that will be a norm.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Keep your 4S, it's still an amazing phone. Don't try to find a way to justify upgrading every time Apple comes out with an iPhone -- it's obviously not worth it if you're someone who's smart with your money.

Some of the answers here are truly ridiculous, imo.

Assuming you bought your iPhone 4S without a contract (because it didn't cost $350 when it was first released), where did you buy it for $350? Certainly no where in the used iPhone market -- unless you know someone personally who was generous enough (or desperate enough) to sell you the 4S for $350, I'm calling BS on that.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Keep your 4S, it's still an amazing phone. Don't try to find a way to justify upgrading every time Apple comes out with an iPhone -- it's obviously not worth it if you're someone who's smart with your money.

Some of the answers here are truly ridiculous, imo.

Well it also isn't just the amount one has to pay for the phone but the added cost to change over to the lightning connector. I tried out the 5 for a bit but found out it wasn't compatible with my car or a couple of my accessories so sticking with the 4s till 3rd party gets things switched over.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Oh, another thing I forgot to mention - no LTE here for the iPhone 5. Something to do with different bands used.

Dunno what to do. I've never missed an iPhone upgrade since 2007, don't know why it just doesn't feel "right" this time.

One last thing - I never use a case with my phones. If I do pick one up, should I go for the white or the black? 4S is white and I'm not a huge fan of the contrast between the screen and the body when the screen is off.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Don't see where you said that. So how much did you sell the 4s for!?!?! Had to make a killing to cover the $350+ iphone 5 and make a $50 profit.

Well guess if you sold the 4s for $600 you could purchase the 16gb iPhone 5. Good job finding someone to buy your phone for $600 but don't think that will be a norm.

I don't see why this is so hard for you to understand.

He bought an iPhone 4S for $350 then sold it for $400. Then, out of that $400, he bought an iPhone 5 which was like around $200 at upgrade price and had money left over.

Or, he bought the 4S at $350, sold it at $400, then added money on top to buy the iPhone 5. The difference between the $400 and $350 is $50 that he saved because he sold the 4S at a profit.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I don't see why this is so hard for you to understand.

He bought an iPhone 4S for $350 then sold it for $400. Then, out of that $400, he bought an iPhone 5 which was like around $200 at upgrade price and had money left over.

Or, he bought the 4S at $350, sold it at $400, then added money on top to buy the iPhone 5. The difference between the $400 and $350 is $50 that he saved because he sold the 4S at a profit.

So we are just ignoring the initial $350 he spent for the 4s? :rolleyes:

He purchased the 4s for $350
He sold the 4s for $400
Ok $50 in his pocket
Purchased a 5 at the minimum of $200
So $150 out of his pocket.

Don't see how paying $150 is a profit. Maybe I see profit differently than you do.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I would say "no" to upgrading from a 4S to a 5. If you had a 4 or lower, then I would say it's a no brainer. But,with a 4S on iOS 6, there really isn't much that the 5 can do which a 4S cannot.

Bigger screen
LTE (that's IF you have coverage in your area, many do not yet).
HD FaceTime (IF the person on the other end has one too).
Take still pictures while recording video.

Now, are those things nice to have? Absolutely, if you are able to take advantage and make use of them. The 4" screen is nice, but, as someone who owns a 4S, I guess I can't exactly miss what I never had to begin with. Sort of similar to the retina display when it first came about. Once I made the jump from 3GS to 4S, there's no way I could've ever gone back. But, up until that point, I couldn't miss a retina display because I'd never had one at that point.

LTE, I assume, would also be nice to have. But in reality, many customers (especially with AT&T) do not have coverage right now. Even so, with the gravitational pull of the shared data plans, and with individual data plans at either 2 or 3 GB per month, it does not take long at all to burn through a monthly allotment of data with LTE. So, as nice as LTE would be to have, given the practicality of data plans nowadays, it's almost too risky for some folks. For now, I'm perfectly fine with AT&T's "4G" network, as it gets me anywhere from 2-6mbps down and about 1-2mbps up, and that suits my needs just fine. Given that I'm still on unlimited data, I have no complaints in that area. Plus with having WiFi at home, work, and on campus, there really isn't much time within my daily routine where I'm not at least near a hotspot.

As for the other 2, I'm not sure how practical taking still pictures while recording video might be. I know that when I'm recording a video, trying to get a still picture would be the last thing on my mind. I'm in "filming" mode at that point, not "snapshot" mode. And HD Facetime will obviously only work if both parties have an HD Facetime enabled device. Granted, it will be a nice bonus for me once I get it, but, again, I can't miss what I never had.

In the end, the 4S gets all the features of iOS 6. So, aside from the A6 processor, the extra RAM (the 5 will load things a few seconds quicker than a 4S), and the aforementioned features, I would not say the difference in daily performance between a 4S and a 5 is worth upgrading.

I personally will wait for the 5S to bow in (probably) the fall, and then I shall upgrade.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
i love the iPhone 5 and the aspect ratio makes a very big difference but i like to skip a generation each time. Not worth it to upgrade every iPhone. My next Phone will be the iPhone 6 instead of the 5S (thats if there is a 5S).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.