Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8MYAPPLE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Recently joined the mac world. Greetings all. I know this is probably a noob question, but I'm just roaming around and decided to ask it anyway. I am a iphone user and ipad user.. I use Windows for my desktop units, always had windows laptops etc.. After seeing Windows 8 I decided to jump into the MBA in order to replace the ipad. I Jailbroke my ipad and Iphone, I was wondering if the MBA has a way to allow me to download free applications from the applestore. In addition, i'm running 10.8.2 is there anyway to downgrade the software.

I would also appreciate any helpful information, tips or tricks, or cool apps that you guys may recommend. So this thread is not completely useless. Tee-Hee..

Many thanks my fellow apples. :apple: :cool:

Nov 28, 2010
located
I was wondering if the MBA has a way to allow me to download free applications from the applestore.
If you mean the Mac App Store (MAS), there are free applications available in there. If you mean, you want to get paid applications for free, then we cannot help you here, as it is against the rules to help members with WAREZ, see the Forum Rules for further information.

In addition, i'm running 10.8.2 is there anyway to downgrade the software.
Just out of curiosity, why? Maybe there is another solution. Anyway, to what version do you want to downgrade? 10.7.4/5 might be the lowest you can go.

I would also appreciate any helpful information, tips or tricks, or cool apps that you guys may recommend. So this thread is not completely useless. Tee-Hee..
To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios
  • BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

8MYAPPLE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Do you mean downloading "apps that are free" or illegally obtaining paid apps for free?

Option B Johnny.. I'll look else where, no big deal... @ simsaladimbamba thank you for the link looks useful. And yes how would I be able to downgrade to 10.7.4/5. Thank you in advanced.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Option B Johnny.. I'll look else where, no big deal... @ simsaladimbamba thank you for the link looks useful. And yes how would I be able to downgrade to 10.7.4/5. Thank you in advanced.

You would have to get a copy of 10.7.5 (where I do not know, I still use Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard), probably illegally and make boot disk from that.

No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

Nov 28, 2010
located
You can find and buy Lion on USB but it is pricey.

That one will probably not work, as the 2012 MacBook Air came with a special build of 10.7.4, the USB Restore Drive probably does not come with that, but an older version, which does not have the proper drivers for 2012 Macs. The OP needs to find a 10.7.5 version, and Apple probably does not provide that that easy.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Call 1800MYAPPLE and for $20 they will email you a code you can apply in the App Store to DL Lion. Then use the file you downloaded with a 8GB USB key and this free app to make a USB Lion installer.

Now option key boot to the USB key. Start Disk Util and select the drive name (like Seagate 1TB or whatever) and erase the drive. Then proceed with the Lion install. This will give you a clean install of Lion.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

You can't install an earlier version of the OS than what the laptop shipped with.

Also, GTFO of here with your "how can I obtain Mac App Store apps for free" questions. Get a job and pay for them so developers will keep making cool apps.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
You can't install an earlier version of the OS than what the laptop shipped with.

Also, GTFO of here with your "how can I obtain Mac App Store apps for free" questions. Get a job and pay for them so developers will keep making cool apps.

I agree a 100% if someone is looking to pirate apps for free, get lost.
Er um that is STEALING. no good in my book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.