Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoyodyne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
Uqbar
For everyone who has the creaking/squeaking iBook trackpad area, I solved my issue. Yet again, my reliable index cards have fixed another gimpy aspect of my new iBook. If you take out the battery, you can access one side of the trackpad. Looking at it, it may be the metal pieces causing the friction, but I wasn’t going to try to lubricate it. I stuck a very small piece of folded index card in between the contacting metal pieces and it solidified my trackpad area. Any non-metal material will work, and you don’t have to disassemble anything.

Before, if I tried to use my button it went more like, “creeeeeakclick” instead of “click.” I fixed most of my quality problems, all I have to do know if accept my dead pixel. :eek:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Mine creaks over the HD area, it's not tight enough. I wonder if there's a fix for that. There's not any hex nuts over there. :(

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
ITASOR said:
Mine creaks over the HD area, it's not tight enough. I wonder if there's a fix for that. There's not any hex nuts over there. :(

Anyone with a faulty trackpad stiil under warranty I had my newish 14" ibook in for a new topcase because the trackpad was askew and hard to work. I should say "harder" to work when you press on it than my other book. Apple replaced it for free and the Tech dropped in a new hd and new superdrive FOR FREE. Thank you Apple.

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
ITASOR said:

Well its definetly not just you. Thats one a the few things I hate about the iBook. :(

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
ITASOR said:

Same, it's the area over the HD on mine, not the trackpad itself. Nice job fixing your 'book though (to the OP).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.