Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I don't know how to look up something like that, I know it's an error code thing... Does it three times, chimes, then boots and works normally.

What is it?

3 tones indicates a RAM issue. Have you changed the RAM lately? Could be a failing stick.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hmm, I can't hear it anymore. :confused: This has been going on for awhile now. Oh well, thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it sometime later. It has original everything from the day it was made. Never has been opened.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
If you encounter more kinds of beeps, this can make for future reference:

1 beep = No RAM installed/detected
2 beeps = Incompatible RAM type installed (for example, EDO)
3 beeps = No RAM banks passed memory testing
4 beeps = Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM
5 beeps = Bad checksum for the ROM boot block

("Products Affected: Power Mac, PowerBook G3, iMac")
Source

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Someone just booted it up just a few minutes ago and it made this HUGE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Sound. I think it's on its last legs. :( Still works otherwise though...

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Someone just booted it up just a few minutes ago and it made this HUGE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Sound. I think it's on its last legs. :( Still works otherwise though...

A single long tone indicates that it cannot find any installed RAM. Honestly, I'd go ahead and check on the RAM in there before giving up on a beautiful machine like an iMac G4. In my experience, PowerPC Macs tend to be fairly picky about what RAM you put in them; when I was upgrading the RAM in my own iMac G4, it decided that some sticks were fine, while it would give the tones with others. All were known to work fine. Play around with it for a bit and see what you can get it doing!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
A single long tone indicates that it cannot find any installed RAM. Honestly, I'd go ahead and check on the RAM in there before giving up on a beautiful machine like an iMac G4. In my experience, PowerPC Macs tend to be fairly picky about what RAM you put in them; when I was upgrading the RAM in my own iMac G4, it decided that some sticks were fine, while it would give the tones with others. All were known to work fine. Play around with it for a bit and see what you can get it doing!

But why would it do that and boot normally afterwards and work perfectly fine? It doesn't make sense. Sometimes it makes noises, sometimes it doesn't.

I really don't want to buy RAM and have it not work or fix the issue, that's my only issue. I don't think my dad has the patience to help me take it apart and test it over and over.

Is the hardware test on the Tiger disk?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.