Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
What adapter or cables do I need to buy in order for me to be able to connect my macbook air to my tv.

BigYellow

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2006
Canada
Easiest way (and it does HDvideo and digital audio) is with a Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter (I've seen them sold as Mini Display Port to HDMI, just make sure it's a newer-gen one that transmits audio also). Then you just plug an HDMI cable from there into your TV and it'll show as a second monitor.

Hope that helps!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
If your TV has HDMI, you need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (which will fit your Thunderbolt port) and an HDMI cable of sufficient length.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Yes, I do have a HDMi cable and my tv supports it.
I looked at some of these adapter on apple website but coudl not figure out which one I need.

also the reviews seem to be poor about these expensive adpaters.

Is Apple tv a better choice? But I think I wont be able to airplay HBOGO thorugh Apple tv onto my TV.

I read that HBOGO app doe snot have airplay for video support.

However, if I go to hbogo.com site on my macbook and then can I mirror my webpage through appletv on my tv, maybe that will allow hbogo to play.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
However, if I go to hbogo.com site on my macbook and then can I mirror my webpage through appletv on my tv, maybe that will allow hbogo to play.
I did that and watched a few episodes of the The News Room. It worked well. More convenient for me than using a HDMI cable, the way my living room is setup.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I did that and watched a few episodes of the The News Room. It worked well. More convenient for me than using a HDMI cable, the way my living room is setup.

So you can confirm that if I buy the Apple Tv, it will let me airplay HBOGO frm my Macbook Air.

I already have netflix app on my tv, so I don't know if I should be spending $100 for the airplay convenience, but dont know what else could I be using the appe tv for.

Maybe the best way woudl be to buy the cheap adapter from Amazon and connect it that way to the tv.

----------

Have you used this or similar non-apple adpater. Please confirm

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So you can confirm that if I buy the Apple Tv, it will let me airplay HBOGO frm my Macbook Air.

I already have netflix app on my tv, so I don't know if I should be spending $100 for the airplay convenience, but dont know what else could I be using the appe tv for.

Maybe the best way woudl be to buy the cheap adapter from Amazon and connect it that way to the tv.
Screen mirror has worked for me on everything I've tried, including HBOGO.

My roommates and I use the AppleTV a lot for mirroring all sorts of things from our Macs/iOS devices, plus playing our iTunes on the main TV. But yeah, if your only use of the AppleTV would be HBOGO, then it doesn't sound like it would be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.