Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
New ac3 rules are very frustrating as all the players need to convert your files before they will play. I had avplayer but forgot to install it again after ios6 upgrade. Apple pulled it as you know.

Besides JBing what is the best solution?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
New ac3 rules are very frustrating as all the players need to convert your files before they will play. I had avplayer but forgot to install it again after ios6 upgrade. Apple pulled it as you know.

You don't really explain what you are talking. The clearer that you describe your problem, the more likely we will be able to help.

I'm guessing, you have a MKV video file that contains Dolby Digital or AC-3 audio and you want to play it on your iPad.

Is that correct?

What is the video codec? Xvid, 264 etc... ?

If you have a Mac, and the video is 264, then you can use the free app Subler to convert the MKV to m4v with 2 channel AAC. You can keep the AC-3 too.

PM me for more info or check out the AppleTV threads.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
If you bought it is it not on the App Store purchased list?
lol not when they pull it.

I have tried ALL these mkv players. Free and paid. Go into iPad apps tab, drag the mkv file into the app's import area and it all works to that point but then when you play the file on the iPad the apps usually say,"this audio (meaning AC3) can't be played but you can convert it with our other great app on your desktop first!". OR "the developers who are paying for the AC3 license build these apps that can play AC3 but again they don't play natively. You have to do some weird converting thing.

Right now I am using the paid version of AirVideo and it does the job for me. Access my whole Mac and has live conversion in the background I don't even notice. Nice app.

Does anyone know of an app that is better than AirVideo?

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
download MKV2MP4 and remux it only takes minutes

Or, better, something faster / more capable. Let me cite the pros / cons list from my review:

Pros

Accepts both M4V (MP4 / MOV) and MKV input, meaning you can quickly, say, downmix the AC3 track of an already-converted M4V file now that AC3 is no longer supported in the vast majority of players.

Very easy-to-setup for batch mode (to convert more than one video at a time) – unlike MP4/MKVTools, where you do have to make some additional settings. Batch mode is particularly good compared to Subler, which has very weak batch support.

Cheap (compared to almost all the other remuxers; except for, of course, the free Subler).

Cons (in addition to the ones already explained)

Somewhat slow conversion, at least compared to the, in this regard, best tools (Subler, MP4Tools, AnyVideo Converter HD). It's still way faster than, say, iVI (Pro).

No support for video conversion for non-H.264 (for example, VC-1) input, unlike with MP4/MKVTools / iVI.

Uses at least twice the movie's filesize for temp files – can be an issue when, to speed things up, you use a small(er) SSD to write the target movie file to

(No MTS support)

(More info: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1504900/ )

----------

I'm also looking for mkv/720p/AC3/offline playback and according to the description it does that but would like to know if people have any experience with Cinexplayer?

Depends on your device. If it's an iPad 4, you won't have problems. If its something else (meaning far lower CPU performance), you'll encounter stuttering.

In the latter case, I recommend either remuxing with audio conversion (see my numerous tutorials on the matter) or using the just-returned AVPlayerHD, which has far better MKV playing performance.

----------

People say its crashing above 720p. No? Can it read your server like AirVideo?

No, it doesn't. It's "just" inefficient, compared to the best (e.g., AVPlayerHD) MKV players.

----------

Currently, AVPlayerHD.

gdd2010

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
I actually use PlayOn Media server as it converts on the fly and can access remotely as well. Works quite well too. No problem converting ANY file types.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.