Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LogicPro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
So, I'm waiting for my trackpad to come in. I mostly work in Logic where I need to drag lots. Working with a MacBook trackpad has been absolutely fine. Does the Magic Trackpad do alright for dragging? What about games like WOW or AOE?

Blkant

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
So, I'm waiting for my trackpad to come in. I mostly work in Logic where I need to drag lots. Working with a MacBook trackpad has been absolutely fine. Does the Magic Trackpad do alright for dragging? What about games like WOW or AOE?

In most cases, apples solutions for mice/trackpads can be pretty bad for games due to the no right click while left clicking issue. Not to mention, however this is more opinionated, trackpads seem to be substantially less accurate in higher paced situations. Also, for some people the extra buttons and customizations that mice can offer can be a great benefit to many, though I personally find most of them to be down right absurd overkill. :p

Thats not to say it's not possible of course, but that it can provide difficulties for many.

LogicPro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Well... I just ordered a gaming mouse. Just in case :) I figure it'll be good for Logic anyway.

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
I can't anwer all your questions, but I can say there is no way you can efficiently play games with the trackpad.

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom
In most cases, apples solutions for mice/trackpads can be pretty bad for games due to the no right click while left clicking issue. Not to mention, however this is more opinionated, trackpads seem to be substantially less accurate in higher paced situations. Also, for some people the extra buttons and customizations that mice can offer can be a great benefit to many, though I personally find most of them to be down right absurd overkill. :p

Thats not to say it's not possible of course, but that it can provide difficulties for many.

Touchpads are difficult, but not impossible. I guess you get used to them.

You can simulate everything you want on a multi-touch mouse. Using a tool like "Better Touch Tool", you can configure your mouse as follows:

• One finger left click is left click
  • One finger right click = right click
  • Two finger click = left and right click
  • Three finger click = middle mouse button
  • and any other configuration you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.