Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zauberer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
I think the title says it all. I'll be going abroad to Germany early next year. I'm having trouble finding pre-paid plans that would work with the iPhone. I currently have a Verizon iPhone which they've told me they can unlock, but I really don't want to pay the super high fees Verizon charges abroad.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Oy. Where u aware b4r u bought the phone, International travels work best with a GSM phone?

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Most EU countries you need to register your SIM with an address, you can't just get one over the counter and plug it in.

Telekom sells Congstar, you can activate it from a PC (with i.e. your Hotel address). In Germany as far as I know prepaid cards do not come with internet data - you need to buy an extra packet. For Congstar it's EUR 9.95/500Mb per month. Simyo is same but you get 1Gb. There are 50 or so prepaid companies.

http://www.handytarife.de/anbieter/

90miles

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Yes, it's an iPhone 5 and is GSM.

I was just confirming it was actually possible to do it with your phone :) I'm not sure if they still have it but Vodafone used to have an option where you'd pay them some money and get unlimited browsing for the day, you will have to double check it anyway...

rmmaddal

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
iPhone in Germany

I recently got back from a month in Germany with a Sprint 4s. Before I left the US I had the phone unlocked. I purchased a 30 day prepaid micro-sim from Vodafone (voice and data) at one of their stores. Worked fine the whole time I was there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.