Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Hey guys, so for Christmas, I'm getting a new Sony EX42 HDTV for my PS3. Should I connect the PS3 audio to the TV via HDMI, and then to optical to my receiver? My receiver only supports DTS and Dolby PL2. Or should I just connect optical right to the receiver and then have video through HDMI? I wanna get the best blu ray experience possible.

Simplified:

PS3->HDMI to TV (Dolby trueHD)-> optical from TV to receiver (only supports PLII)

PS3-> HDMI to TV and have straight PLII to receiver via optical.

Also will Bravia Sync increase input lag for games?

Thanks!!

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Even though this is an Apple TV thread...

Does your receiver not have HDMI in/out? If not, I would probably go PS3 -> HDMI -> TV then PS3 -> TOSLINK -> Receiver.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Sell By Date

I agree witht the above post. Most BR discs feature many different types of audio, so you'll be able to take advantage of the improved sound through the optical cable/receiver. That's the good news.

The bad news: time is ticking on your old receiver. Many PS3 games will likely not be compatible with its limitations. Don't worry, you'll still be able to get sound through your tv. It's a compromised gaming experience. The video games are so well done having true surround sound makes a massive difference. Keep this in mind as you'll likely find you won't get a game to play sound through your stereo even though BR works. Wasted a good two days on that one (but you're likely more clever than me!)

A mate of mine is heavily into home theatre, and playing in his "cinema quality" sound room make a massive difference.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an old stereo set-up which can be classified as "vintage." There's nothing out there that sounds better that I can afford. I suppose you don't know what you're missing until you know. I'd suggest putting money aside to upgrade your receiver if you find you play a lot of games.

Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.