Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US
If I wanted to run to 27" screens on the current Mac Mini could I connect a non-Apple screen (such as a wide gamut NEC with mini display connector) to the TB port of an Apple TB monitor and run both at 2560x1440? I understand that I can't do that with two non-Apple screens.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
If I wanted to run to 27" screens on the current Mac Mini could I connect a non-Apple screen (such as a wide gamut NEC with mini display connector) to the TB port of an Apple TB monitor and run both at 2560x1440? I understand that I can't do that with two non-Apple screens.

I tried using the displayport -> DVI adapter to a Dell monitor plugged into my TB display and it didn't work. Spoke with Apple support who said the TB port on the TB display doesn't support displayport out. You would need to hook up the Nec monitor to the HDMI port on the mini. With Apple releasing the last firmware update, it solved my problems with the screen flicker.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US
I tried using the displayport -> DVI adapter to a Dell monitor plugged into my TB display and it didn't work. Spoke with Apple support who said the TB port on the TB display doesn't support displayport out. You would need to hook up the Nec monitor to the HDMI port on the mini. With Apple releasing the last firmware update, it solved my problems with the screen flicker.

Ah, thanks for that. So that's a no-go then since the HDMI port won't support 2560x1440. One NEC screen it is.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I don't think the Mini can really drive much more than up to 2560 by 1600 (Thunderbolt) or 1920 by 1200 (HDMI).
That's where you do see a limitation of the Intel GPU.

Last edited:

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US
The mini can drive two 27" Thunderbolt displays at native resolution.

Exactly. That's why I had thought there might be the possibility to link a NEC 27" screen to the TB display connected to the Mini. Can't be a limitation of the GPU just something that Apple doesn't want you to do. I wonder if this is a hardware limitation or if this is done by the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.