Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodleyhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Sesame Street
Lately ever since I upgraded to an iPhone 5, I've been getting lots of data overage charges. Apparently, in 1 day when I was stuck at home sick and connected to wifi all day, I'd used up 200 MB of data. I don't understand this because I was home all day and not once did I turn off wifi, so how was any data being used at all? I've had my iPhone for about 2 months now and both months I have gone over my 300 MB data usage. Before I had my iPhone 5, I would only use about 250 MB of data or so and I haven't changed my data using habits since then. I don't use a lot of data, I only check a couple websites a day and usually everywhere I go, like school, has wifi, and I make sure to connect to it. I don't understand how I could be using so much data when I always have wifi on. Just to clarify, I am using an iPhone 5 with iOS 6 with AT&T.
Has anyone else been having these issues, and if so, then how do you fix it?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You're asking us how you used over 300mb in a month?
Only you can answer that. 300mb is nothing, most can use that up in a day.
The fix for that is either get a bigger data plan so you can stop paying overages or turn off carrier data in the settings and only pull data when on wifi.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Keep cellular switched off when on wifi, and when using cellular you can turn LTE off too, if you don't need that.

noodleyhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Sesame Street
You're asking us how you used over 300mb in a month?
Only you can answer that. 300mb is nothing, most can use that up in a day.
The fix for that is either get a bigger data plan so you can stop paying overages or turn off carrier data in the settings and only pull data when on wifi.

No that is not what I am asking.
My question is that I used to only use up about 300 MB of data in a month with my old phone, and now with my iPhone 5 I am being charged for using 300 MB of data overnight when my wifi was on the whole time, and the phone was not even being used. I haven't changed my data usage habits since using my old phone, so I don't see how I could have used 300 MB of data overnight, especially when wifi was on the whole time. My problem is that data is randomly getting used up when wifi is on and data is not supposed to be used.

I read here: http://www.inquisitr.com/350032/iph...-wireless-customers-could-be-caused-by-ios-6/

and here: http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technology/iphone-5-data-overage/index.html

Based on those articles, other people are having this problem too and it seems that Verizon has already fixed this. I think I am having the same problem that those articles are talking about and just wanted to know if there was a fix for it that I didn't know about.
On a side note, does iOS 6.0.2 fix this problem? I heard that it fixes the Wifi problem, but I'm not exactly sure.

Last edited:

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
I know in the jail broken world, you have a firewall app that you can configure to allow only specific apps to use your data. Others are denied access.
But it needs jail broken phone. So on iPhone 5 you are still stuck up.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I know it was an issue with verizon using carrier data while connected to wifi but not AT&T.
Not sure but you gotta remember LTE connection is way faster and you can rack up charges really fast and easy using it.

fstevens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
I am experiencing the same thing with my iPhone 5. Looking at details of my data usage before upgrading vs. after, I see cellular data usage on the 5 when I'm asleep even, as well as when I know I'm on wifi at home and work. I haven't gone over my 2 GB limit, but it's still concerning. I contacted Apple and Verizon, and both said this is a known issue. iOS 6.0.1, I believe, fixed this problem for most phones, but not for mine.

I don't have a solution, just chiming in to let you know you're not alone.

Faye

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Here's what I notice : when I am on Wifi at home, and when my phone sleeps I think it disconnects wifi and goes back to LTE. So when my phone is sleeping it may be doing all triggered activity by the apps using data access I guess.
This is because when I touch my phone, I see the LTE changing back to wifi symbol again.

Any way to fix this ?

ItsNeil4Real

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
The only thing it can me doing is checking for mail. You can change that to manual so it only does it when you open the app. That won't save you much data though if its using that much. I would call my carrier and apple.

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
No that is not what I am asking.
My question is that I used to only use up about 300 MB of data in a month with my old phone, and now with my iPhone 5 I am being charged for using 300 MB of data overnight when my wifi was on the whole time, and the phone was not even being used. I haven't changed my data usage habits since using my old phone, so I don't see how I could have used 300 MB of data overnight, especially when wifi was on the whole time. My problem is that data is randomly getting used up when wifi is on and data is not supposed to be used.

I read here: http://www.inquisitr.com/350032/iph...-wireless-customers-could-be-caused-by-ios-6/

and here: http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technology/iphone-5-data-overage/index.html

Based on those articles, other people are having this problem too and it seems that Verizon has already fixed this. I think I am having the same problem that those articles are talking about and just wanted to know if there was a fix for it that I didn't know about.
On a side note, does iOS 6.0.2 fix this problem? I heard that it fixes the Wifi problem, but I'm not exactly sure.

When you are home, just turn cellular off and that way you won't have to worry about it.

swieks88

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
I had the same issue this last 2 weeks

Lately ever since I upgraded to an iPhone 5, I've been getting lots of data overage charges. Apparently, in 1 day when I was stuck at home sick and connected to wifi all day, I'd used up 200 MB of data. I don't understand this because I was home all day and not once did I turn off wifi, so how was any data being used at all? I've had my iPhone for about 2 months now and both months I have gone over my 300 MB data usage. Before I had my iPhone 5, I would only use about 250 MB of data or so and I haven't changed my data using habits since then. I don't use a lot of data, I only check a couple websites a day and usually everywhere I go, like school, has wifi, and I make sure to connect to it. I don't understand how I could be using so much data when I always have wifi on. Just to clarify, I am using an iPhone 5 with iOS 6 with AT&T.
Has anyone else been having these issues, and if so, then how do you fix it?

I had the same issue this last 2 weeks. I'm typically on WiFi all day as well, yet my iPhone 5 used 8GB of data within a 10 day period. I typically don't go over 2gb per month. I was about to go over my families 10gb plan so I turned off data completely. I took my iPhone to the apple store last night and they thought it was the software. We did a complete restore and she tested my data by doing a quick google search. The google search cost me 12mb of data! She immediately turned off the data and grabbed another phone to check my sim card. Turns out, it was my phone that was using excessive amounts of data for no reason. The Genius Bar concluded that the LTE chip in my phone was faulty. I then talked to AT&T and they upgraded me for free to the 15gb family plan to offset any data overages I may occur this month. If you're still having this issue, I would make an appointment at apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.