Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason Garza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
I am looking for a Video Player app that can play the videos from my camera roll. I would like to be able to save a playlist. It would be cool if it had a shuffle feature but not super important. Paid or free not important. I know I can do this from the camera roll but my kids keep hitting something and ending back at the camera. Any ideas?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Try AVPlayerHD. Its not free. But it will fulfill your requirements :)

Unfortunately, in this case, it won't - it can't access the camera roll at all.

I recommend one of the following players for this:

RockPlayer2 (free; latest review: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16535148/ )

yaPlayer ($3; latest review: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16517530/ )

GoodPlayer ($3)

All three are solid titles if you know their limitations (not affecting Camera Rolll playback) and use some other players for formats they aren't particularly good at playing back.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Too bad VLC Player was removed, it has helped me many times.

VLC (the version that was availabe back then in 2010 and is currently available in Cydia) is far worse than the most recommended, current players (It's Playing, GoodPlayer, AVPlayerHD). We don't lose much.

Siennawalk

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
It will also play a great many audio formats. The interface is not pretty, but I'd say VLC is indispensable.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
It will also play a great many audio formats. The interface is not pretty, but I'd say VLC is indispensable.

Yup, it does play audio files too. So do a LOT of AppStore apps. I've even published a lot of articles on playing back formats like OGA, FLAC etc. (And I also elaborate on the ability to play back those in all my multimedia articles / reviews of new apps, also posted here at MR.)

And, as a video player, as has been pointed out by me above, it's clearly worse than any current, top-level player with an up-to-date H.264 / SSA etc. decoder. There is simply no contest - VLC is waaaaaaaay worse when it comes to video playback (speed, efficiency, subtitles, multiple audio tracks, features like gesture-based ffwd/rewind etc).

That is, I'm not sure VLC is unmatched, not even on the audio front. Not at all.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Azul Media Player.

Not recommended. I just don't see any point in preferring it to high-end players like AVPlayerHD, It's Playing, HD Player Pro, nPlayer or, if you jailbreak, XBMC or RushPlayer+. It has far fewer features, considerably worse decoders etc. than the just-listed players.

chx678

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
Not recommended. I just don't see any point in preferring it to high-end players like AVPlayerHD, It's Playing, HD Player Pro, nPlayer or, if you jailbreak, XBMC or RushPlayer+. It has far fewer features, considerably worse decoders etc. than the just-listed players.

He or she wasnt asking for a high end player, but ok. I hear ya.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
He or she wasnt asking for a high end player, but ok. I hear ya.

Well, Azul costs the same as AVPlayerHD but still delivers WAAAAY worse efficiency, stability etc. I just don't see any point in preferring it to a vastly better, more standards-compliance, much more battery-friendly title - for the same price.

(Please check out https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16949289 for more info.)

benlinus121

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
OPlayer Lite, A really good video player for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch made by Jonathan Young. This application showed one of the best results both for audio and video playback for all the files. OPlayer Lite plays almost all possible movie and audio file formats like AVI, WMV, MKV, FLV, MPG, MP4, Webm, VOB, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC etc. Subtitles support is also available for free for hard and prerendered subs in SMI, ASS, SUB, SRT, TXT and many other formats. The player has also a multiple audio track support, so you can easily change your audio without any pauses. As for the interface it can be a bit difficult at the beginning, but you’ll need just a couple of minutes to make it clear. One more thing to mention is that Oplayer has a built-in browser with download feature so you can easily save the media you like.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
OPlayer Lite, A really good video player for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch made by Jonathan Young. This application showed one of the best results both for audio and video playback for all the files. OPlayer Lite plays almost all possible movie and audio file formats like AVI, WMV, MKV, FLV, MPG, MP4, Webm, VOB, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC etc. Subtitles support is also available for free for hard and prerendered subs in SMI, ASS, SUB, SRT, TXT and many other formats. The player has also a multiple audio track support, so you can easily change your audio without any pauses. As for the interface it can be a bit difficult at the beginning, but you’ll need just a couple of minutes to make it clear. One more thing to mention is that Oplayer has a built-in browser with download feature so you can easily save the media you like.

Not recommended. In my tests (check out my articles here at MR), it has proved worse than the best players in most respects. That is, if you want absolutely the best, go for something else.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Can any of them do variety of PLAYLISTS?

I'd like to use varying playlists for different workouts, music videos etc.

Unfortunately, in this case, it won't - it can't access the camera roll at all.

I recommend one of the following players for this:

RockPlayer2 (free; latest review: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16535148/ )

yaPlayer ($3; latest review: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16517530/ )

GoodPlayer ($3)

All three are solid titles if you know their limitations (not affecting Camera Rolll playback) and use some other players for formats they aren't particularly good at playing back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.