Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I used to love Flixster but it now every time you open it a full screen pop up ad appears that you have to close, extremely annoying. Why isn't there a paid version so loyal users don't have to deal w this?

What are some other good ones?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Fandango

What's also nice is that you can also buy tickets for some of the theaters as well.

I downloaded Fandango but the movies are in a weird order, Flixster arranged them most popular first. Any other ones?

Also I think they all let you but tickets

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I downloaded Fandango but the movies are in a weird order, Flixster arranged them most popular first. Any other ones?

Also I think they all let you but tickets

If you click on the "movies" tab at the bottom it will then let you sort by Alphabetical, Next Hour, Popularity, Release Date and Top Box Office.

Also, on the theaters with the little orange ticket icon are ones that let you buy tickets either online or in the app.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
If you click on the "movies" tab at the bottom it will then let you sort by Alphabetical, Next Hour, Popularity, Release Date and Top Box Office.

Also, on the theaters with the little orange ticket icon are ones that let you buy tickets either online or in the app.

Awesome! Thanks. Does this apply to listings within each theater though? That is what I'm talking about

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Awesome! Thanks. Does this apply to listings within each theater though? That is what I'm talking about

No, I don't think you can sort once you are in the actual Theater. I believe the movies are listed by release date once you are in the Theater tab. Most recent release is listed first.

That said, if you go into the Movies tab and sort them you can then just click on the movie and it will show you the listings/times of the movie at all of your local theaters.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
No, I don't think you can sort once you are in the actual Theater. I believe the movies are listed by release date once you are in the Theater tab. Most recent release is listed first.

That said, if you go into the Movies tab and sort them you can then just click on the movie and it will show you the listings/times of the movie at all of your local theaters.

Why does it seem like the movie order (within theaters) is more relevant in Flixster?

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
i second this. Fandango is my favorite. uses passbook too

Passbook is cool, but last time I tried it... They wanted to charge me an extra $1.25 'processing fee'... Went directly to theatre and bought it thru kiosk.

Fandango is all I use.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Fandango for me, it sorts alphabetically by release date (ignoring "The" in titles). The only downside is the occasional ad that you have to tap out of and it defaulting to "Spotlight" instead of "Theaters".

Be sure to set your favorite theaters by tapping the heart at the top-right when viewing a theater, then use the "My Theaters" view in the "Theaters" section to jump to a shortlist of the few theaters you ever go to.

One of the key things for me is it shows in the movie listing whether or not a movie has a "no passes" restriction. I go to the movies A LOT and get free tickets regularly from rewards programs.

photo.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.