Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I'm wanting a secondary 'mouse' for my MacBook Pro for use with Logic Pro. This way I can have the laptop on a stand above my keyboard but still use a mouse at desk height. Looking at gestures etc I think I'd rather have the trackpad than the mouse, but I was wondering does the Magic Trackpad have exactly the same features as the one on my MacBook (non retina 2012)?

Also, how would this display in system preferences. Would an extra trackpad option appear, or would the current trackpad preferences effect both trackpads?

Cheers.

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Features are the same. The Magic Trackpad is a bit larger. There is no extra trackpad option, settings (system and via Better Touch Tools) affect both trackpads.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Logitech will be introducing a trackpad for Mac. I have the PC version and find its surface smoother than the Magic Trackpad. Also, the surface is slightly larger than the Apple one, and it's compact and built solidly. The big plus is that it has a built-in rechargeable battery. It will sell for $69, as does the Magic Trackpad, and will have all the Apple gestures. You can see it at

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mac-trackpad?crid=1153.

If I didn't already have a Magic Trackpad, I would definitely buy the Logitech one.

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
How can a "built-in" battery be a plus?! :confused:

I use the peripheral devices far longer than computers or cell phones. Usually 5+ years. That means that the battery will most likely fail (as it did in my Logitech MX Revolution after 4 or so years).

Having a keyboard and a mouse/trackpad, where I can just swap the Eneloops as I please is a big plus in my opinion.

And finally - keyboard, mouse and trackpad are the last Apple devices, which still use the removable (and non Li-Ion) battery. Think about that!

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Logitech will be introducing a trackpad for Mac. I have the PC version and find its surface smoother than the Magic Trackpad. Also, the surface is slightly larger than the Apple one, and it's compact and built solidly. The big plus is that it has a built-in rechargeable battery. It will sell for $69, as does the Magic Trackpad, and will have all the Apple gestures. You can see it at

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mac-trackpad?crid=1153.

If I didn't already have a Magic Trackpad, I would definitely buy the Logitech one.

Thanks for the info, but I'll stick with apple products as they just work. Also, I can't believe they're bringing out a device to compete with an apple product and pitching it at the same price :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.