Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beastmode16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
I have had the case for about a week. The lock button is extremely hard to push causing me to not be able to lock my phone with out applying a ton of force. I feel like it might break the phone. Is it just my case?

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Wirelessly posted

I think the current outer layer is an improvement over recent ones. It's smoother, stiffer and doesn't collect dust & lint. Earlier ones were somewhat tacky (non-slip) and quite flexible ... In some ways too flexible. Corners, edges could slip off with little pressure. But, the buttons worked flawlessly.

Personally, I much prefer the newer version. I have the Defender version. It makes the sleek iPhone 5 bulky and certainly bigger, heavier. However, for my $700+ investment, it's perfect protection.

everythingfun

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2012
i have the same problem, hard to press the buttons. Sometimes it is also getting pretty hot, i suspect the heat trapped by the thick cover.

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Wirelessly posted

I think the current outer layer is an improvement over recent ones. It's smoother, stiffer and doesn't collect dust & lint. Earlier ones were somewhat tacky (non-slip) and quite flexible ... In some ways too flexible. Corners, edges could slip off with little pressure. But, the buttons worked flawlessly.

Personally, I much prefer the newer version. I have the Defender version. It makes the sleek iPhone 5 bulky and certainly bigger, heavier. However, for my $700+ investment, it's perfect protection.

I don't know about that, I think I have the newer version which has the softer silicone. My sister also has the stiffer version like the OP does; I figure hers is the older one and mine's the revision, since she got hers about a month and a half before I did. Not to mention the flap that covers her lightning connector port doesn't sit flush due to the silicone being too stiff. Mine on the other hand is similar to the silicone Incipio uses on their products: soft, grippy, and the buttons are easy to press. It's not too soft to the point that it's loose, like you described. It's nowhere near as bad as the Commuter case for the 4/4S; those were way too soft imo.

beastmode16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
i have the same problem, hard to press the buttons. Sometimes it is also getting pretty hot, i suspect the heat trapped by the thick cover.

I am afraid it is going / starting to make my lock button flush

----------

I don't know about that, I think I have the newer version which has the softer silicone. My sister also has the stiffer version like the OP does; I figure hers is the older one and mine's the revision, since she got hers about a month and a half before I did. Not to mention the flap that covers her lightning connector port doesn't sit flush due to the silicone being too stiff. Mine on the other hand is similar to the silicone Incipio uses on their products: soft, grippy, and the buttons are easy to press. It's not too soft to the point that it's loose, like you described. It's nowhere near as bad as the Commuter case for the 4/4S; those were way too soft imo.

I am going to call otterbox to see if they did revise the commuter. I know they revised the defender. Not too sure about commuter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.