Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariotheotaku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Hello everyone, I been really torn lately on what Mac computers to get. I'm looking to get a desktop and a notebook. I'm planning to use both computers for Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Lightroom. Still undecided if I will do some Autodesk Maya for 3D graphics. As far as gaming goes, I might do some Diablo 3 on the desktop. Here is what I'm looking at:

Desktop:

27' base iMac with the fusion drive
2.6 quad-core Mac Mini with fusion drive with possible ATD

What I like about the iMac is the dedicated graphics card, I'm not sure how important that is when it come to PS and Illustrator Also the less reflection on the monitor sounds nice.

On the Mac Mini I want to get a good monitor so I been looking at the ATD which I might hold off for a while since I'm hoping there is going to be an update soon. Also when it comes time to upgrade Mini might be cheaper on the long run since I won't have the need to get another monitor.

As far as the notebook line goes I need it to run some Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom as well. I'm looking for some portability too:

13 in Macbook Air 8gb RAM, 256gb storage
13 base rMBP
13 base non retina 2.9 i7 MBP

I want the notebook to take to college and when traveling so I can store some photos as I shoot in RAW.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I got a Mac mini and added an ssd and it is really fast. I've heard the HD4000 works fine for things other than hardcore gaming. I'd get the mini and check out a nice dell 27" ultra sharp or similar for photo editing. I went that route so if I decide to upgrade in a few years I can keep my monitor and spend 800+ on a mini instead of 1800+ for a new iMac like you said. I also like the hard drive upgradability of the mini. Right now I got a small ssd but plan on upgrading to a larger model a few years as ssd prices drop. Having two available drive bays in the mini is a plus. I think it's possible to do upgrades on iMac but much harder

mariotheotaku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks, I might just do that. I just need to decide whether I should stick to the TBD because of the docking station for the notebook or get another monitor,even maybe a couple 24 in dell ultrasharp instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.