Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Lol if I remember correctly, a YouTube mockup of the iPhone 5 came with the projector BUIlT IN haha....

Now even Samsung fakes are stealing from Apple fakes :p

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Lol if I remember correctly, a YouTube mockup of the iPhone 5 came with the projector BUIlT IN haha....

Now even Samsung fakes are stealing from Apple fakes :p

Only difference is, Samsung could actually produce this. We all know Apple will string along its users for years, dishing out small pieces of tech annually. It only took Apple 2 years to figure out LTE. :D Maybe in another 2 years, the iPhone will get NFC or an LED Notification light! :rolleyes:
Don't need to worry about software though. Apple just waits for Google to put out the latest version of Android and then copies or steals the ideas. Even then, they tend to screw up the stuff they copy. Hello Maps. Hello Notification Center.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Only difference is, Samsung could actually produce this. We all know Apple will string along its users for years, dishing out small pieces of tech annually. It only took Apple 2 years to figure out LTE. :D Maybe in another 2 years, the iPhone will get NFC or an LED Notification light! :rolleyes:
Don't need to worry about software though. Apple just waits for Google to put out the latest version of Android and then copies or steals the ideas. Even then, they tend to screw up the stuff they copy. Hello Maps. Hello Notification Center.

Ya, curse Apple for giving us power efficient LTE as the tech was becoming mainstream. I really wish my iPhone had LTE sooner so I could not use it because it hadn't rolled out in my area yet while sucking my battery dry....

LED notification light? Are you serious? How superfluous can you get....I couldn't care less about a notification light....haha. Neither maps nor notification center have given me any trouble. While I hope iOS 7 gives us a new look, I'm perfectly content to stay away from the fragmented mess that is Android.

I suppose, since this is the theme - it only took Android to version 4.2 to make a smooth OS like iOS....oh wait, project butter still isn't up to par. Oh well, maybe Key Lime Pie or whatever the next desert Android releases with Project Baby's Butt will give Android users a taste of iOS's silky smooth user experience.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Ya, curse Apple for giving us power efficient LTE as the tech was becoming mainstream. I really wish my iPhone had LTE sooner so I could not use it because it hadn't rolled out in my area yet while sucking my battery dry....

LED notification light? Are you serious? How superfluous can you get....I couldn't care less about a notification light....haha. Neither maps nor notification center have given me any trouble. While I hope iOS 7 gives us a new look, I'm perfectly content to stay away from the fragmented mess that is Android.

I suppose, since this is the theme - it only took Android to version 4.2 to make a smooth OS like iOS....oh wait, project butter still isn't up to par. Oh well, maybe Key Lime Pie or whatever the next desert Android releases with Project Baby's Butt will give Android users a taste of iOS's silky smooth user experience.

At iOS 7 you'll still be drip-fed features that have existed on Android for some time already, but marketed as "New & Revolutionary". Jelly Bean is very smooth, I've seen iOS lag even on my iPhone 5, almost everytime I swiped to the Spotlight on the left it'd stutter. Every iPhone I've had did. Hit the toolbar to jump to the top on a long website or list? Stutter central.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

It didn't take Apple 2 years to figure out LTE. It took Qualcomm 2 years to produce power efficient LTE modems. Don't forget Apple (and most Android phone manufacturers) use Qualcomm's LTE modem chip. Apple was smart not to include LTE until it was "ready" both external and internal. LTE wasn't even rolled out to a significant portion of the world until the second half of this year. Even now it's still being rolled out in most parts of the world.

iPhone 4, 4S and 5 all have LED notification lights. It's a feature built into iOS that utilizes the LED flash on the back of the iPhone. Albeit it's not on the front which would make sense but it's certainly not missing. Besides, not every high-end Android smartphone has an LED notification light anyway. It's not a feature that separates high-end from low-end.

As for NFC, I don't think Apple will ever include it in an iPhone. Why? Because of Google's poor implementation of it. I hardly see it used anywhere and this includes major cities like SF where people tend to use the newest and latest technologies. Google is doing a poor job of laying the foundation for NFC, security issues/flaws aside. I'm not even going to get into the NFC security debate.

Actually, it is the other way around. Early versions of Android makes it evident that Google was targeting BlackBerry. It was only shortly after Apple introduced iPhone that Google quickly changed the OS completely to compete with iPhone/iOS. Let's not forget that Project Butter was started for this very reason. There wasn't enough time to change how the UI was drawn efficiently and quickly for touchscreen based input. Android from the beginning targetted a trackball/trackpad and keyboard based input. Only through Project Butter did they finally resolve the underlying system-wide issue of UI and why quad-core Android smartphones with plenty of graphics power still had easily noticeable UI lag. Google Maps existed well before Android or iOS. Hardly relevant. As for notification center, Apple did take the idea of a notification center from Android which had it from Day 1 but they also got ideas from Palm's webOS as to how notifications appear. Things are not as black and white as you make them out to be.

Apple Maps works. Google Maps works. I find Apple Maps' UI to be a little less cluttered and the voice to be a little more clear. Google Maps does have less errors but then again, the recent Australia mishap didn't exclude Google Maps. They had problems in the same areas as Apple Maps did. But they have much less reason to because Google Maps is almost a decade old whereas Apple Maps is still a newborn baby. I find Apple Maps to be just fine. In other countries, I have friends tell me it works well. Same goes for Google Maps.

It would be more fair to say that Google copied more from Apple than Apple from Google. It's also fair to say that both companies get ideas off each other.

----------

At iOS 7 you'll still be drip-fed features that have existed on Android for some time already, but marketed as "New & Revolutionary".

How do you know? Can you predict the future? Do you work for Google? iOS 7 and Android Key Lime Pie are unknown.

You edited your post. My friend's 3GS doesn't lag that way. My Dad's 4 doesn't. My Mom's 4S doesn't and my 5 doesn't. Weird. I was just reading a very long 10+ page article about an hour ago. I tapped the top to quickly scroll to the top. Smooth as butter. It has been this way since iOS 2 (the earliest one I've used).

The two big iPhone commercials Apple is running right now show off the panorama feature of the camera and, I love this, the GROUNDBREAKING noise cancellation microphone.

Gamechanging indeed.

I just saw a commercial for the Droid Razr HD that showed some girl using Google Translate. Hardly new either. I don't see your point.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

The two big iPhone commercials Apple is running right now show off the panorama feature of the camera and, I love this, the GROUNDBREAKING noise cancellation microphone.

Gamechanging indeed.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
How do you know? Can you predict the future? Do you work for Google? iOS 7 and Android Key Lime Pie are unknown.

I haven't mentioned Android 5.0, I'm merely guessing that a good majority of "revolutionary" features that will be in iOS 7 will have most likely been present in Android already. Most iPhone and iOS releases have boasted about features with a huge fanfare, with things that have existed for years. Either it'll be a feature thats not previously been discussed by Apple, or a feature they've said is unwarranted and not needed, but then it'll be released anyway.

Unless Apple wildly change the way they've gone about iPhone and iOS, but I don't think so. I've had every iPhone except the 3GS, and it's been iOS slowly being opened up with additional features that rival platforms take for granted. 3rd Party Apps, Video recording, Video Calling, Changing a ringtone, wireless syncing, allowing you to change the Email + SMS sounds, Panorama.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I can picture the S4 looking like that. Minus the laser keyboard dock, just feels silly, its been around for years as a crappy USB Gadget and never been popular. I highly doubt it'd come with Android 5.0 though, handset makers that skin Android seem to ship a version behind, Didn't the S3 launch when Jellybean had been around for months? I think it'd ship with Android 4.2 at the highest if it comes out before 5.0.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I can picture the S4 looking like that. Minus the laser keyboard dock, just feels silly, its been around for years as a crappy USB Gadget and never been popular. I highly doubt it'd come with Android 5.0 though, handset makers that skin Android seem to ship a version behind, Didn't the S3 launch when Jellybean had been around for months? I think it'd ship with Android 4.2 at the highest if it comes out before 5.0.

You remember wrong, S3 shipped with ICS and Jelly Bean wasn't available until a few months after.

I haven't mentioned Android 5.0, I'm merely guessing that a good majority of "revolutionary" features that will be in iOS 7 will have most likely been present in Android already. Most iPhone and iOS releases have boasted about features with a huge fanfare, with things that have existed for years. Either it'll be a feature thats not previously been discussed by Apple, or a feature they've said is unwarranted and not needed, but then it'll be released anyway.

Unless Apple wildly change the way they've gone about iPhone and iOS, but I don't think so. I've had every iPhone except the 3GS, and it's been iOS slowly being opened up with additional features that rival platforms take for granted. 3rd Party Apps, Video recording, Video Calling, Changing a ringtone, wireless syncing, allowing you to change the Email + SMS sounds, Panorama.

Yes, the alternative is to open up everything to anyone and have chaos. The benefits are security, stability and ease of use/consistency.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I'm not too fond of the way it looks from the front in that video but it's just a render anyway. I wouldn't mind having the keyboard as an extra features (options are always great!) but just as long as the dock is available the same time the phone launches or shortly after.. unlike how the charging orb still isn't available for the Nexus 4. Agreed about it probably launching with 4.2. No way it'll get KLP unless Google plan on releasing it before the S4's launch for the Nexus devices.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Yes, the alternative is to open up everything to anyone and have chaos. The benefits are security, stability and ease of use/consistency.

But Android doesn't have everything open, if it did there wouldn't be such a thing as rooting. Also I disagree on iPhone having better ease of use, perhaps yes with syncing through itunes , however there is software that syncs Android in a similar way. Since I switched to Android when the Nexus 4 came out its made me realise how much iOS treats the user like a child who cannot be trusted.

Wanting to get a ringtone on my iPhone without paying for the wrong 30 seconds of a song I already own? I have to mess around with converting files and segmenting it myself to drag into iTunes and sync. Android? I drop an audio file into my ringtones folder. iOS is simply full of these extra steps needed to achieve basic tasks. If they add something to make one of these needlessly complicated tasks easier? They act like its never been done before by anyone.

The funny thing is they shrug off features like that, like the user doesn't need them, but then make a huge deal out of it when they perform a u-turn.

I'm not too fond of the way it looks from the front in that video but it's just a render

I didn't like it a great deal either, but I feel its a step up from the GS3 which I feel is rather ugly. I can see them doing something similar because they seem to be really attached to their pebble design, and this feels like a natural evolution of it.

Last edited:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
But Android doesn't have everything open, if it did there wouldn't be such a thing as rooting. Also I disagree on iPhone having better ease of use, perhaps yes with syncing through itunes , however there is software that syncs Android in a similar way. Since I switched to Android when the Nexus 4 came out its made me realise how much iOS treats the user like a child who cannot be trusted.

Wanting to get a ringtone on my iPhone without paying for the wrong 30 seconds of a song I already own? I have to mess around with converting files and segmenting it myself to drag into iTunes and sync. Android? I drop an audio file into my ringtones folder. iOS is simply full of these extra steps needed to achieve basic tasks. If they add something to make one of these needlessly complicated tasks easier? They act like its never been done before by anyone.

The funny thing is they shrug off features like that, like the user doesn't need them, but then make a huge deal out of it when they perform a u-turn.

I didn't like it a great deal either, but I feel its a step up from the GS3 which I feel is rather ugly. I can see them doing something similar because they seem to be really attached to their pebble design, and this feels like a natural evolution of it.

The part I highlighted in red made me laugh. You seem to know extremely little. Android is open. The source code is available for free. The official Android app store is not curate, any app written by anyone can be sold there without any kind of screening process (Google JUST put in a malware scanner but it's very easy to circumvent). There are no restrictions, rules or guidelines to follow. Root user access does not mean the software is not "open".

It makes very little sense to play an entire song (usually 3-4 minutes or longer) as a ringtone when the phone doesn't ring for half that long. Apple never said X feature should never ever be necessary or needed. It's all about implementation. It's all about getting the core/foundation of the OS perfected first and then moving on to expand with "new" features. Rome wasn't built overnight. Windows Phone 7/8 is following the same path. That's why it lacks certain features because getting the core/foundation is the most important thing. I think this is a better approach than the free-for-all approach of Android. But when Android is "controlled" (Nexus), it works much better.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I remember watching the Samsung keynote live for the S3. It was a terrible feed and the video was stuttering from beginning to end and when it was done, me and a lot of people online were disappointed with how it looked. I thought it was an ugly design but months later I ended up buying one and realizing just how much I actually love the design! It looks great and feels even better in the hands.

I currently own an Nexus 4 but I still miss my S3 sometimes. Samsung really did a great job with it and I can't wait to see what they do with the S4 and now I'm confident they know what they're doing.

Edit: I also found out Samsung's keynotes suck (or at least the one for the S3 did). It's way more enjoyable watching Apple's keynotes and even if their ads can sometimes be misleading, they're not terrible ads like Samsung's "made for humans" ads. Oh and I almost forgot the "just take it" ad for the camera which Gizmodo even wrote a post about :p http://gizmodo.com/5907436/samsungs-awkward-galaxy-siii-seduction

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

Funny how every feature the iPhone DOESN'T have, is superfluous or 'not needed'. I love how all the users that said they didn't need or want a bigger screen size or LTE, now rave how awesome these features are. Gotta love the hypocrits. And one day, when Apple figures out this revolutionary thing called a back button, iFans will go into a frenzy, thinking how great it is at marveling at this 'new' feature. :rolleyes:

As for LED Notifications... I need a facepalm emoticon. You are so far gone out in left field, you aren't even in the stadium anymore. Your comment made me chuckle though. BTW, I think you have to be jailbroken to even utilize the camera's flash in that way. So, you can't even do that very basic function on any device using iOS6.

And Android became smooth at 4.0, not 4.2. Which is why I left the Apple walled garden, because Android had finally matured enough for me to use their OS. It makes iOS look like a speak and spell now. It's great for really young children and the aged, that didn't grow up with tech though. And I had bought my wife an iPhone 5 during pre-order. Very disappointing phone. I enjoyed the scratches, dent and pixel issue on the keyboard. Was wonderful watching it stutter while scrolling through long lists. We ended up sending it back and getting an S3 and thenshe upgraded to a Note2. Both phones are much better than the iFone5.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
the GROUNDBREAKING noise cancellation microphone.

That commercial highlighting that particular feature struck me as really odd, too.

----------

At this point and time, I'm more excited to see the S4 than I am the iPhone 5S/6.

I'm also excited about the Googlerola "Phone X," whatever that may be.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Funny how every feature the iPhone DOESN'T have, is superfluous or 'not needed'. I love how all the users that said they didn't need or want a bigger screen size or LTE, now rave how awesome these features are. Gotta love the hypocrits. And one day, when Apple figures out this revolutionary thing called a back button, iFans will go into a frenzy, thinking how great it is at marveling at this 'new' feature. :rolleyes:

As for LED Notifications... I need a facepalm emoticon. You are so far gone out in left field, you aren't even in the stadium anymore. Your comment made me chuckle though. BTW, I think you have to be jailbroken to even utilize the camera's flash in that way. So, you can't even do that very basic function on any device using iOS6.

And Android became smooth at 4.0, not 4.2. Which is why I left the Apple walled garden, because Android had finally matured enough for me to use their OS. It makes iOS look like a speak and spell now. It's great for really young children and the aged, that didn't grow up with tech though. And I had bought my wife an iPhone 5 during pre-order. Very disappointing phone. I enjoyed the scratches, dent and pixel issue on the keyboard. Was wonderful watching it stutter while scrolling through long lists. We ended up sending it back and getting an S3 and thenshe upgraded to a Note2. Both phones are much better than the iFone5.

So much fail in this post. I'll just let the sales do the talking. iPhone 5 40-50 million sales in a quarter. S3 7 million sales a quarter and note 2 has sold a bit more than 5 million in its lifetime. People love iOS and don't want cheap crappy plastic. Seriously that led thing is the most useless feature on the s3 apart from NFC. The truth is, and unless you are blind, nothing will be big until apple does it and perfects it. 2 years down NFC might be massive but not until apple does it. Same thing with LTE, only now have carriers around the world implemented LTE. All the big business use iPhones, something like 70%. Also even jelly bean still lags like crap, especially playing games due to the poor optimisation of the OS.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
So much fail in this post. I'll just let the sales do the talking. iPhone 5 40-50 million sales in a quarter. S3 7 million sales a quarter and note 2 has sold a bit more than 5 million in its lifetime. People love iOS and don't want cheap crappy plastic. Seriously that led thing is the most useless feature on the s3 apart from NFC. The truth is, and unless you are blind, nothing will be big until apple does it and perfects it. 2 years down NFC might be massive but not until apple does it. Same thing with LTE, only now have carriers around the world implemented LTE. All the big business use iPhones, something like 70%. Also even jelly bean still lags like crap, especially playing games due to the poor optimisation of the OS.

Show me a single post on iphone 5 sales. A single one? No, ya got nothng huh?
What has Samsung put out? 50 million in 6 months? So Samsung is producing more with just 1 in 1 quarter that ittakes Apple 2 quarters and all their iphones combined. Maybe that has somethingn to do with the $200 per share slide we have seen.

And I copied this post for posterity. In your view, which appears deeply soaked in Apple's diuretic Koolaid, once features l

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Show me a single post on iphone 5 sales. A single one? No, ya got nothng huh?
What has Samsung put out? 50 million in 6 months? So Samsung is producing more with just 1 in 1 quarter that ittakes Apple 2 quarters and all their iphones combined. Maybe that has somethingn to do with the $200 per share slide we have seen.

And I copied this post for posterity. In your view, which appears deeply soaked in Apple's diuretic Koolaid, once features l
First off calm down, secondly why do you care so much about sales do you work at Samsung? Ok everybody in the world uses a Galaxy phone are you happy now, what next?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.