Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ive been waiting a long time almost 2 years to get a tv, Apples tv, but where is it? Are there any valid rumors cause the ones i heard last time was that the tv might arrive in the end of 2014-15, who's gonna wait till then? Mercy Apple! :D

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If you're so eager to spend $3,000 on a TV that should cost $1,000 and can't wait until 2014, buy a TV for $1,000 and send me the remaining $2,000.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If you're so eager to spend $3,000 on a TV that should cost $1,000 and can't wait until 2014, buy a TV for $1,000 and send me the remaining $2,000.
Well if the 1000$ tv is gonna be "the one" then heck ill do it! Explain yourself woman, what do you mean by this? :D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't know what an Apple TV would do that all other TV's can't. Apple needs to fix the interface not the TV.

A true set top box is what we need that can stream ALL content.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I don't know what an Apple TV would do that all other TV's can't. Apple needs to fix the interface not the TV.

A true set top box is what we need that can stream ALL content.
Its surely gonna rock cause Apple always produces high end products, especially at their first appearance, be certain of that!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Its surely gonna rock cause Apple always produces high end products, especially at their first appearance, be certain of that!
How can it rock? what is a TV really a screen in a box. Only one or two companies make all of the displays. So what is left for Apple?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
How can it rock? what is a TV really a screen in a box. Only one or two companies make all of the displays. So what is left for Apple?

It'll be something for fanb... (oops got reprimanded for using that word once)... enthusiastic purchasers of Apple products to buy.

Get an amazing TV that already exists. Those edge to edge displays would be a good place to start. Then buy an Apple TV, updating every couple of years when new features are added (better than spending £2k on a new TV every couple of years).

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It'll be something for fanb... (oops got reprimanded for using that word once)... enthusiastic purchasers of Apple products to buy.

Get an amazing TV that already exists. Those edge to edge displays would be a good place to start. Then buy an Apple TV, updating every couple of years when new features are added (better than spending £2k on a new TV every couple of years).
I agree, I still don't think Apple is making a TV, they might partner with someone else and put the interface on it but not an Apple branded TV. I can't see them getting into this market so late in the game.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

True, but Apple doesn't build or design screens.

I'm even somewhat sceptical about a set-top box. I don't think the existing interfaces are so bad that Apple's take on it will be worth the premium, especially if it's only available combined with a screen.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
True, but Apple doesn't build or design screens.

I'm even somewhat sceptical about a set-top box. I don't think the existing interfaces are so bad that Apple's take on it will be worth the premium, especially if it's only available combined with a screen.
The set top box is nothing more than a money maker for cable companies. They are not really needed with todays digital TV's. The boxes die after a few years and while the interface isn't horrible it is very restrictive.

If Apple was smart they would turn the Apple TV into a true streaming device that would allow me to cut the cord while getting all content. Of course that is wishful thinking.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The set top box is nothing more than a money maker for cable companies. They are not really needed with todays digital TV's.

They're certainly needed for anyone receiving IPTV or satellite, neither of which deliver an ATSC signal the TV can recognize.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
They're certainly needed for anyone receiving IPTV or satellite, neither of which deliver an ATSC signal the TV can recognize.
Sure, but anyone on cable doesn't need them. They could send those signals straight through the coax. As long as the TV has a QAM tuner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.