Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Hi, Google Maps' voice guided navigation doesn't work on my iphone 5. What am I doing wrong? Is there an option or setting?

Thanks.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
No, actually when I try to get directions, it says on the bottom right corner "Preview". And when I press it, the direction part on the top is displayed in gray, not green.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
No, actually when I try to get directions, it says on the bottom right corner "Preview". And when I press it, the direction part on the top is displayed in gray, not green.

I get that on walking directions, might be the case for public transportation too. Do you have it set to car?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That's odd because I was just searching for this topic to ask about it. Phone isn't on mute, directions are for driving, and no voice.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
It has been like this forever for me. Actually, the voice is not the problem. Navigation isn't working altogether. When I enter directions, it should say "Start" in the corner. Mine says "Preview". When I click it I get a gray header, instead of a green one.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
It has been like this forever for me. Actually, the voice is not the problem. Navigation isn't working altogether. When I enter directions, it should say "Start" in the corner. Mine says "Preview". When I click it I get a gray header, instead of a green one.

You need to make sure you have it on car navigation and not the bus or the little man walking.

I am 99% sure that's your issue.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

I used it to navigate to my work the day after it released and it worked perfectly fine for me.

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama

That's because navigation it's not supported where you are.

You have to check within the app if voice navigation is offered in your country. But if your getting the preview button, chances are it isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.