Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

53 willys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
So I really need to update my Imac now that I have a iphone 5...I bought the snow leopard disc and I used "time machine" to backup my current set-up to an external drive...but i'm still too scared to update for fear I might loose it all....any tips for a guy who has never updated mac OS?
I even called the apple store and asked for help...they said they could get a genius to look at it to make sure the backup worked but thats about all they could do for me in the 15 min appointment.

should I be this scared?
is there a way to make sure my backup on the external drive is "good" before I erase everything?

thanks

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
So I really need to update my Imac now that I have a iphone 5...I bought the snow leopard disc and I used "time machine" to backup my current set-up to an external drive...but i'm still too scared to update for fear I might loose it all....any tips for a guy who has never updated mac OS?
I even called the apple store and asked for help...they said they could get a genius to look at it to make sure the backup worked but thats about all they could do for me in the 15 min appointment.

should I be this scared?
is there a way to make sure my backup on the external drive is "good" before I erase everything?

thanks

There is nothing at all to be afraid of, you have created a backup. Simply follow the instructions that came with the SL DVD and you will be done in an hour or so. It's EXTREMELY easy to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.