Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Found a 64GB Black iPad mini on Craigslist! Was nervous because the guy's phone number wouldn't work when i tried to call him, but it would let me text him fine. Ended up being forwarded to some pinger service. Then I had to drive 60 miles one way (simi valley) to pick it up at a dead area which really got my heart beating. Was thinking with the horrible spelling in text messages, texting in slang to me, no phone number that it might be a scam but the price wasn't that much of a too good to be true (400 bucks) and he said it came with the box, cords and a 30 dollar zagg screen protector. I know I shouldn't stereo type but I thought this was going to be a homie, especially with some Spanish name and last name on his gmail. Ended up it was an old Philipeno guy in a XD vehicle from those hamster commercials with a Spanish name. Anyway, glad I got this mini, it's black, 64GB and I can't believe how light it is. Other then it being in practically new condition there is this minor mark but I think maybe it is some type of dust under the zagg screen protector.

But yea it looks like iPad minis are starting to appear on Craigslist now at reasonable prices, just a FYI to those who want one at a decent deal. Just after hearing some Craigslist stories kinda makes u wonder who you're going to end up dealing with. I'm a big guy and can usually handle my own, but even this buy gave me a strange feeling in my stomach.

What do you guys think? A scuff maybe? Looks like a bunch of dust underneath but that's me.
img201301011248451.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
1. that looks terrible
2. a 64gb iPad Mini for $400? Something must be wrong with it
3. Make the image smaller

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
1. that looks terrible
2. a 64gb iPad Mini for $400? Something must be wrong with it
3. Make the image smaller

Yea think ill remove the zagg screen protector when I get a better one. Not a real fan of the orange peel effect. Had to deal with that on my Atrix a year ago.

As a tech junkie I knew what to look for to make sure it wasn't defective. Front and rear camera, made sure the compass worked, accelerometer worked, no pixelation, no bleeding, just noticed that dust bug looking deal under the screen protector, both speakers. Checked settings and it said 57.6 GB were avail but that's due to iOS. No scuffs or scratches on the back or sides. I wouldn't consider 400 dollars for a mini too good to be true, still quite a bit of dough to spend, especially since I originally was looking for a 16 GB Mini for around 250 to 275 on CL.

Sorry about the image, wanted to zoom it in to get a decent shot from my galaxy s3's camera phone.

----------

Here's a smaller image

img201301011344271.jpg

Would be nice if Tapatalk had a resize option, had to crop my photo.

Last edited by a moderator:

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
Why do you pre-judge people with Spanish names? Is this really something to post to Macrumors?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
60 miles and with it sounding as shady as hell? Man, you must have had lots to drink on New Year's Eve to go for it. :)

It doesn't matter at this point what we think. If you asked opinions beforehand and you know what we all would have said.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Why do you pre-judge people with Spanish names? Is this really something to post to Macrumors?

Yea I made the mistake of judging someone, point of this thread is don't judge! People do it all thr time! You might end up lucky and save a hundred bucks! Also to let people in the So Cali area that Mini's are finally appearing on Craigslist. Also I seen worse posts on MacRumors over my past 2 years here, relax.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Since you said it has a Zagg on it, it's safe to assume the screen is fine. Pull that thing off and use it without a screen protector. I'd used all of my iPads without a protector and I've never had the screen get scratched.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I agree.. Pull off the screen protector.. See how it looks. I don't use them on mine anymore either:).

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
2013 racism still alive

But I'll help you out , here's what you can do

Remove the zagg
Put it on a piece of paper
Check the ipad screen to make sure is ok
If is ok go to the zagg website /warranty section fill out the info for a front mini screen shield , select HD

YOU WILL ONLY PAY FOR THE SHIPPING
When you get the new zagg in the mail ,send the old one back to them in an envelope

Go to bestbuy mobile section they will install it for you , I think it's $10 don't remember

So for like $15 you will know if the screen is scratched or just the zagg

Last edited:

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
If I paid $400 for a 64gb..I'd rip that crap Zagg off to see if its actually the screen. What are you waiting for? :rolleyes:

You did get a great deal so you can always just go to best buy and grab another screen protector.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Ended up being a scuff on the screen protector, the screen was fine though. Took it to have a guy look at it at my local store. I know I don't need a screen protector on it since my iPad 2 has been fine without one for the longest time but this iPad mini is making me feel like Gollum from those Lord of the Ring movies when he has the ring in his hand and is very careful calling it my precioussss...

At least I know now, thanks for the advice. Guess I was worried that it was the screen so I didn't wanna have it checked out because then it would have made sense on why I got a decent deal.

TonyTurboII

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
I'll never understand why people use zagg products.

I would never use anything on my electronics that you have to apply with water...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.