Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you recommend?

• Total voters

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I'm looking for recommendations on these two speakers alone, please don't suggest different ones.

Which should I get? Which do you think has better overall sound quality? I listen to rock mainly. Classic, alternative, and hard rock.

Audioengine A2 ($199): http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-P...qid=1357158465&sr=8-2&keywords=audioengine+a2

2JvAz.png

Bose Companion 5 ($399): http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...stems/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp

MD1OA.png

Last edited:

cbb77

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
I have the A2s and absolutely love them. I think they are absolutely the best bang for the buck. I have listened to the Bose and while I think they sounded ok, they were not worth twice the price, in my opinion anyway.

Another place you can order from is from https://www.crutchfield.com/, this is where I ordered mine from. You can usually find a coupon online for them. http://www.savings.com/Crutchfield/search/coupons.html?id=6029&clickid=167904582-1357172856517-8087334213676539389&placementid=17006598&gclid=CLS3hvD2yrQCFU-d4AodFGYA-A&searchTerm=crutchfield+coupons

I have ordered many items from crutchfield as they have an excellent return policy. Have returned items before with no hassle.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I have the A2s and absolutely love them. I think they are absolutely the best bang for the buck. I have listened to the Bose and while I think they sounded ok, they were not worth twice the price, in my opinion anyway.

Another place you can order from is from https://www.crutchfield.com/, this is where I ordered mine from. You can usually find a coupon online for them. http://www.savings.com/Crutchfield/search/coupons.html?id=6029&clickid=167904582-1357172856517-8087334213676539389&placementid=17006598&gclid=CLS3hvD2yrQCFU-d4AodFGYA-A&searchTerm=crutchfield+coupons

I have ordered many items from crutchfield as they have an excellent return policy. Have returned items before with no hassle.

Thanks, I will probably use that site if I end up buying.

Also, if money were not a factor would you still go with the Ae2?

Last edited:

cbb77

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
Thanks, I will probably use that site if I end up buying.

Also, if money were not a factor would you still go with the Ae2?

I think so. I only say that as I did not want to spend too much on speakers; $200 was my max. Thus saw these, read the reviews and tried them out and like them. However if I had more money I would maybe try the A5+ which is a larger speaker. It's same price range as the Bose. So might be a better comparison. However again, I am very happy with the A2s. They sound great and play loud. Also come with a 3 yr warranty which I also love. These replaced some M-Audio AV30 speakers which were good but died on me just over a year, right after the warranty expired.:mad: I do not think you can go wrong with these speakers.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Although I said in the previous thread to go with the Klipsch iFi, they're not suited for near-field computer distance listening. They don't sound right, but DO sound far better than the Bose Companion 5's.

Maybe something was wrong with my Companion 5's, but I still got love for Bose and although I did already return my Companion 5's, I'll be planning on getting the Bose Music Monitors and possibly adding a Velodyne MicroVee Aluminum subwoofer at some point later in time.

But out of the two, definitely go with the Audioengines, but if it were them or the Companion 3's, I'd say that's a tough choice.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I recently purchased the A2, but am sending them back. I can't compare them to any of the Bose speakers, but in comparison to the M-Audio AV40 (which are too large for me) they were just OK. I probably would have kept them, but one thing that kind of annoyed me was that they kept buzzing twice every time my mac woke from sleep.

So my personal search is still on. On another board someone recommended Samson MediaOne 3A and said they compared well to the A2, but a little larger. I'm also considering the Bose Companion 20s, but missed out the recent sale.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I recently purchased the A2, but am sending them back. I can't compare them to any of the Bose speakers, but in comparison to the M-Audio AV40 (which are too large for me) they were just OK. I probably would have kept them, but one thing that kind of annoyed me was that they kept buzzing twice every time my mac woke from sleep.

So my personal search is still on. On another board someone recommended Samson MediaOne 3A and said they compared well to the A2, but a little larger. I'm also considering the Bose Companion 20s, but missed out the recent sale.

Wow, good to know about the A2's, but I think maybe any other speaker will buzz too if the A2's did, or maybe not, but that's kind of odd that only the A2's would buzz in a situation like that.

Everything I've read about the Companion 20's is nothing short of stellar/outstanding. If they were available for a Bose Payment Plan I'd get them, but instead I'm probably going for the Music Monitors (plus the MM are made about of aluminum, which is awesome, no?)

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Ok, after buying,, getting, and now using some Monster THX Ultra speaker cable with the Klipsch iFi, the sound is out of this world! I've heard better, but only from speakers costing 3-5 times as much.

Seriously recommend the Klipsch iFi over any Bose system

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Picked up the Bose Companion 20 during lunch and will test them out tonight and tomorrow.

cbb77

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012

Hmm, mine don't do that, but instead do a little "pop" when waking. Only once though.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Ok, after buying,, getting, and now using some Monster THX Ultra speaker cable with the Klipsch iFi, the sound is out of this world! I've heard better, but only from speakers costing 3-5 times as much.

Seriously recommend the Klipsch iFi over any Bose system

As good as the Klipsch sound, they're still not optimized for desktop near-field listening, they're big and bulky, and there's a lot of clutter (as much as the Companion 5's or 3's) and I actually think a Bose 2.0 or AE system would possible be a better choice - MAYBE. Can't go wrong either way, just stay far away from the Companion 5 as I just returned mine after being super disappointed with the sound quality, but I used to own the Companion 3's and really liked those.

Maybe my set was bad, but I doubt it. The Companion 3's are just a better system.

I would really like to get the Companion 20's on a payment plan (as I'm looking for a nice 2.0 system) but it looks like the Music Monitors will have to do.

----------

I think the Bose Music Monitors may be even a better choice than the AudioEngines.

As per a review from Amazon -

" Musically, this is remarkably good once, I got rid of my expectations created by the hype and price. I certainly prefer it considerably over the $200 Audioengine A2 which is almost exactly 3 times larger. The Audioengine has incredible reviews (see Stereophile) and is louder and has stronger bass. However, the Bose is more musical with better balance, highs, mids, clarity. MUCH MUCH better clarity which is quite musical."

Mercurial11

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
I had the Bose Companion 5s and then ordered the Audioengine A5's (price wise they are pretty much the same).

I am not an Audiophile, but I can tell you this... the A5s BLOW the Bose away, it such a dramatic difference I was completely shocked. I really wanted the Companion 5's because of the look and the volume control. Design appearance is important to me, so I was willing to sacrifice somewhat in sound to get the right "look", but the sound difference was SO dramatic i could not make myself keep the Bose.

The easiest way for me to explain the difference is the A5s provide a more rich, fuller sound. It is the like the difference between listening to a keyboard attempting to sound like a guitar or an actual guitar. It was almost like the Bose were providing a "replication" of a sound versus the sound itself. I was absolutely shocked.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
I have the A2 and they are great! But I crave slightly bigger sound, think I'm going to return and get P4 with N22, I think A5 too big for my work space. Let us know what you end up with and impressions.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Creative Gigaworks T3

Anyone have an opinions on the Creative Gigaworks T3? Once upon a time it was sold for $250 - $300, but it appears Creative has recently lowered the price to $150.

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-GigaWorks-T3-2.1-Speaker-System/M/B001S10DDO.htm

I really liked my Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II, so I am willing to give these a shot and compare them with the Companion 20s I have been using.

I'm no audiophile, so all I can state is my opinion based on back and forth tests on various trailers, songs, and games. The Companion 20s sounded better than the ones I tested, but those speakers were in the $100 range and I don't know If I could say that the Companion 20s were $150 better. As for the A2s, they were on par if not slightly better in some tests, but its hard to measure something like that. The reason I would give the edge to the Companion 20s is due to the remote puck and that I was having an annoying issue with the A2's buzzing twice every time my iMac woke from sleep.

So far I am pleased with the Companion 20s to the point that I would be willing to declare them the winner in my search despite the price tag. However, I am going to give the Gigaworks T3 a shot and would also like to compare the Swan M10 (but can't find any in stock).

mario24601

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
I'm looking for recommendations on these two speakers alone, please don't suggest different ones.

Which should I get? Which do you think has better overall sound quality? I listen to rock mainly. Classic, alternative, and hard rock.

Audioengine A2 ($199): http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-P...qid=1357158465&sr=8-2&keywords=audioengine+a2

Bose Companion 5 ($399): http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...stems/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp

What did you end up getting?

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Neither, I got f*cked over extremely bad financially and had to put all of my purchases on hold. In the future I'm probably going to buy both and return the one I don't like.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
If A2+ has DAC then should be a great item. I got email from Audioengine:

"No info yet on this product or when it will ship.* Make sure you sign up for the newsletter at our website to keep up with the latest news and product releases.* What was shown at CES is a prototype and we don't have and info yet on pricing or features - except we do know the A2+ will likely include a USB DAC."

If new version improves the current A2 (which I have) in any way, it will be an even better product! I highly recommend them!

ilovemusic69

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Bose 20 vs Creative Gigaworks t40 series 2.

Which do you guys think is a better buy? Or are there others that are also around the same price range that are better? Thanks!
** I know we are talking about these two, but i am curious about these two options.**

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.