Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylord22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Just got a new iMac and I'm looking to acquire the closest thing to a future proof blu ray reader I can get. Its main purpose will be ripping my blu ray library to my NAS.

I have no software outside of handbrake.

What are my best options?

FTR, I used the search thread function...most people seem to be looking to replace existing drives (therefore, they have existing software). If it serves the community, might a good answer be made into an FAQ (as I'm guessing this question will become more and more common).

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
You'll need to use MakeMKV. AFAIK, it's the only software that supports Blue-Ray encryption. The usual workflow is to rip the large uncompressed MKV file with MakeMKV. Then use Handbrake to convert the video to something smaller and more compatible, such as MP4.

taylord22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
You'll need to use MakeMKV. AFAIK, it's the only software that supports Blue-Ray encryption. The usual workflow is to rip the large uncompressed MKV file with MakeMKV. Then use Handbrake to convert the video to something smaller and more compatible, such as MP4.

Gotcha, so there's no need to go the route that bundles software with the drive? Any recommendation there?

Thanks for the reply!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Gotcha, so there's no need to go the route that bundles software with the drive? Any recommendation there?

Thanks for the reply!

Nah, the software that I've seen bundled isn't blue-ray specific..just some special burning software like Toast. I've seen a few people with LG drives..they work pretty well. I have one of THESE. It works perfect, but only rips at 2x speed. Also I know that someday the locking mechanism on the door will wear out (it's one you have to push closed manually). I'll be upgrading when that one dies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.