Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I wanted to check on something now before it gets too late and I find out when the Mac Mini arrives. I just bought a 2.6 Ghz mini with 16GB of RAM and Fusion Drive. I am currently using a Lenovo laptop (Windows 7 Home) with a Intel Pentium Processor T3400 (1M Cache, 2.16 GHz, 667 MHz FSB) Socket P with 3 GB of RAM (Windows is a 32-bit version).

Anyway, I am currently using a 3TB Seagate external that is formatted as NTFS. Will my new Mini be able to read the data that is on there? Sorry for the noobish question. This mini is my first Mac computer (have always used Windows in the past) so there is going to be a lot of learning for me going on. All my other devices are idevices (ipads, iphones, ATV3).

Thank you very much for your time and help. I really appreciate your input.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Anyway, I am currently using a 3TB Seagate external that is formatted as NTFS. Will my new Mini be able to read the data that is on there?
Yes, Mac OS X can read NTFS-formatted drives natively. They can't write to them natively, however. You need an app for that, such as Paragon. (see under NTFS below)

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Ok that is going to take a little reading to get through that. Glad I asked now. I have this model http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/goflex-desk/

It says it is compatible with Mac but requires a reformat to HFS+, which I assumes that the data on the drive is erased during that process. So I would need to backup the movies and TV shows on there along with anything else, reformat the drive, connect it to my Mac then connect the backup as well and proceed to copy/transfer the files to the HFS+ drive. Then reformat the backup drive.

I guess I shouldn't have thought it would be super easy to transfer everything. I have 1.67 TB of movies and video on the drive.

Plus once I format the drive the windows laptops I have won't be able to read it right?

EDIT: Disregard, I see what you mean I think with the Paragon or Tuxera software, just use that and I should be able to keep the drive as is and still be able to read/write to it. This sounds like a much better idea since when I travel I will be bringing either my laptop or netbook both of which run Windows 7. Found both and will wait until the mini arrives to download and install the trail software and see which one works better.

Last edited:

Billit

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2013
Illinois
Somehow, someway, I am able to read/write to a shared NTFS drive on a Windows 7, 64 bit computer from my new mini without installing any software or by "enabling NTFS support" within OS X (unless it's on by default). According to what GGJstudios posted, it should be read only.

Can anyone explain why this is?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Somehow, someway, I am able to read/write to a shared NTFS drive on a Windows 7, 64 bit computer from my new mini without installing any software or by "enabling NTFS support" within OS X (unless it's on by default). According to what GGJstudios posted, it should be read only.

Can anyone explain why this is?

If the drive is shared across a network, you don't need to worry about the format, since the computer sharing the drive can read/write to the shared drive. The format restrictions apply only if the drive is directly connected.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Good info. Thanks for sharing. I went ahead and started using the Tuxera free trial for the last few days and it seems to work just fine. So far I haven't noticed any issues with being able to access and write to my NTFS 3TB ext HDD.

Is there any reason to try Paragon at this point? I mean is there a write speed difference between the two?

My 3TB is USB 3.0 hooked up to the 3.0 ports in the back of the mini.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there any reason to try Paragon at this point? I mean is there a write speed difference between the two?
If Tuxera is working for you, there's no need to switch. Some have reported problems with it, so I recommend Paragon as first choice. There is little or no performance difference between them.

MrOpTiC

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
I bought a Mac mini and it has no(internal,external) hdd what so ever !! But I have a asus note book and it has windows 7 on it ! I took the hdd out and then put to the mac mini it started good then it took to the recovery screen and so I started the recovery and It didn't have no problems detected! It restarted and it still did the same !!! Why is it not reading it ? And where can I get an hdd that (is ready to use )has windows7 or Mac OS X mountain lion

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I bought a Mac mini and it has no(internal,external) hdd what so ever !! But I have a asus note book and it has windows 7 on it ! I took the hdd out and then put to the mac mini it started good then it took to the recovery screen and so I started the recovery and It didn't have no problems detected! It restarted and it still did the same !!! Why is it not reading it ? And where can I get an hdd that (is ready to use )has windows7 or Mac OS X mountain lion

You have no OS (OS X). The drive you are using is a Windows formatted (NTFS) and WINDOWS OS (Win7).

If you think you can plug in a windows 7 NTFS formatted OS drive and boot into it in a Mac then either you are joking or being silly with the post or you seriously need to do a little research on Macs.

Anyway...

You need to load OS X (Mountain Lion for example). Hold command+option+r all at the same time at boot and boot into internet recovery. If you use an Apple BT keyboard then hold the sequence the second you hear the chime. I you use a USB keyboard then hold the sequence a second after start. You should get a spinning globe. Then load a new OS (it will download). You will need to format the HDD first to 'Mac OS Extended Journaled' in the Disk Utility in Internet recovery as well. You will lose all data on the drive when you format it to journaled.

Alternately, if you have an older Mac mini then you need to load OS X via a USB or DVD that has the OS X software on it. Loading is similar to internet recovery except you hold option at boot and choose the install drive and proceed from there.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal

There may be two reasons to switch that working Tuxera driver for the Paragon version. If I am not mistaken, the NTFS Driver for Mac OS[/URL] is part of the Seagate software package for your drive. I think is also free through Seagate! Are your original files still intact on the GoFlex drive? Check to see if you have something called NTFS_for_Mac_with_restart.dmg among the Seagate software suite. If not you can follow this link to the Seagate download page to find the driver.
http://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/backup-plus-desk/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

I just read the data sheet for your drive and that NTFS Driver is the original supplied driver from Seagate! They mention it several times in the two page PDF.

Last edited:

MrOpTiC

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
So I have this 2012 Mac mini with no hard drive what so ever in it !!! Where can I get a hard drive that has windows 7or8 or mountain lion installed in the hdd ???

Last edited:

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
So I have this 2012 Mac mini with no hard drive what so ever in it !!! Where can I get a hard drive that has windows 7or8 or mountain lion installed in the hdd ???

I answered the question above.

You cannot just buy a hard drive with OS X preinstalled/preconfigured on it. You need to install OS X on the hard drive.

If you want to purchase a hard drive with OS X installed on the hard drive then go to apple.com and buy a 2012 Mac mini. Take out the hard drive out of it and put it in your Mac mini.

I have no idea what you are talking about with wanting a hard drive with Windows 7 or 8 on it to put in a Mac. Once again, if you want to run Windows in boot camp or on a VM on the Mac mini then you need to install Windows on the boot camp partition or on the VM partition.

Sean869

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Dorset, United Kingdom
If the drive is shared across a network, you don't need to worry about the format, since the computer sharing the drive can read/write to the shared drive. The format restrictions apply only if the drive is directly connected.

This is very true. I have a 2tb Western Digital My Book Live NAS drive. I just plugged it in and my Mac and a Windows laptop were able to both read and write to it.
Just make sure you connect with cat5e cable or better then you will get gigabit speeds. Wireless access can be a bit rubbish.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
For big files like movies: format it using Exfat. Exfat is not recommended for OS installs and tons of tiny files though on regular hard drives (it is focussed towards solid state).

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
For big files like movies: format it using Exfat. Exfat is not recommended for OS installs and tons of tiny files though on regular hard drives (it is focussed towards solid state).

Well to me the Exfat was made for small drives and thumb drives. If you use it on a larger hard drive IMHO your asking for future problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.