Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickH88

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Florida
I have a few questions about buying an MBP:

1. Do the old models of MBPs see a price drop as new models approach, or once new models are officially announced with release dates? If so, how much of a decrease in price do they usually see?

2. Are the previous models (specifically customized builds) still available for purchase once the new models are released, and if so, for how long?

3. Does Apple offer any sort of trade-in program for MBP owners looking to upgrade to the newest model, or is the Apple Recycling Program the only way to "sort of" do this?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do the old models of MBPs see a price drop as new models approach, or once new models are officially announced with release dates? If so, how much of a decrease in price do they usually see?
No and no.

Are the previous models (specifically customized builds) still available for purchase once the new models are released, and if so, for how long?
They become available in the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

NickH88

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Florida
Nov 28, 2010
located
So only refurbished laptops (not brand new units) of the previous model are available once a new model is released?
Once new models come out, and all "old" models are still not sold, you get a new "old" model at lower prices via the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store, since those brand new models of the old generation have to be sold too.

Also...
Does Apple offer any sort of trade-in program for MBP owners looking to upgrade to the newest model, or is the Apple Recycling Program the only way to "sort of" do this?
That I do not know, but I guess no.

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I have a twist on this question and I wonder if anyone has a better memory than me for the process when macbooks get released.

Basically I am wanting to buy a new 15" macbook pro. I don't want the retina because I will need more storage and so will probably get a hi-res cmbp and upgrade to a good ssd in a year or so as prices fall.

My fear is if I buy a cmbp that in the summer they release say an updated cmbp with retina screen - highly unlikely i think but who knows. So it is tempting to wait until then.

So my question is the day apple announces the updates what happens with regard to the online store? Is it closed up or can I order stuff that day? And what about actual apple stores? I mean in particular if say apple drop the cmbp and go all retina and all non-upgradeable parts then I'll want to buy a high spec cmbp with hi-res screen to upgrade myself and thus last a few years. But if I wait until they announce the new catalogue will that apply instantly, like that same day one will no longer be able to get the cmbp or does it take a few days?

I have never followed it closely enough to know in the past and in this case apple's policy of surprises is frustrating since I really don't know what to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.