Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbalone

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Just purchased a new 5th generation Airport Extreme. Can I use my old 2nd generation as an extension without using wi-fi? I would like to place my old unit behind my tv. Hard wired from the new one to the old one via ethernet and then hard wire my apple tv, blu ray player, etc to it. Right now they are wi-fi. Can I turn off wi-fi on the old unit? and only use it as a way to hard wire . I certainly do not want the old unit messing with the new one as far as wifi is concerned. Hope this makes sense on what I want to do.

dbalone

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Where I live is relatively small. I have no problems with wi-fi reception in any part of the house. My only thinking in doing this is that being hard wired for watching Netflix from my apple tv or blu ray player would be more reliable if it is hard wired.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Where I live is relatively small. I have no problems with wi-fi reception in any part of the house. My only thinking in doing this is that being hard wired for watching Netflix from my apple tv or blu ray player would be more reliable if it is hard wired.

Yes, you can do that. Put the old AE in Bridge mode and it will then connect to the new AE. Presumably the new AE will supply DHCP and NAT services. All other devices will then get DHCP from the new AE but connecting through the old AE.

There's also a mode in Wireless that turns Wireless OFF, so select that for the old AE.

IMO wired is always better than wireless for dependable real-time data (c.f. Video streaming).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.