Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
There are places around here that have different color iPhone screens. They will put a red screen or a blue screen or tons of other colors

Has anybody ever gone this route and if so are the screens as good? I would like a red iPhone but I want to know if anybody has ever gone this route

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
They're likely the same LCD screen you'll get on any iPhone repair from a repair shop, and in general terms of quality they last a long time. The iPhone 3G/3GS and 4/4S LCDs are nothing special and companies have been making them for a while now.

In terms of them being as good as an original Apple screen, I'm guessing a conversion kit LCD has slower response times and its blacks are not as black as an original screen. Factories selling iPhone replacement screens don't need to make them as good as Apple, they just need to make most people not notice they're not as good as Apple's.

So you might notice a difference if you put them side by side, but once you start using the phone I'm guessing you won't be able to tell unless you're a very picky person or have great color recognition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.