Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frodostar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Right better outlay this story first before i get killed, i bought an iphone 4 from ebay, turns out the thing was registered lost or stolen, i opened a case with paypal/ebay and got my £ back. i handed in to local police station to hopefully return to rightful owner, what do you know after 3.5 months got a call to pick up phone, i really couldnt be bothered with going through hassle of that again upgraded to the i5 on its release so now its useless to me, now my ?, is it possible to get this working on a uk network again? im going to give it to my father hopefully as hes brilliant to me and his battery only lasts 4 hours:) its either a 4 or 4s as it stated on police paperwork, if that makes any difference.
any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

frodostar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
You cant get it whitelisted to work in the UK again unless you're the original owner that lost it.
You can sell it as is for part or whatever on ebay or CL.

oh darn, just done a bit of browsing on google, something about changing imei number?? anything in hat or is it un workable?
thanks applejuiced!

frodostar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Whats it worth in this state? if its not worth more than £50 ill give it to my gfs son who can use it as an ipod

----------

Nope, the IMEI cannot be changed on any newer iphones. Only on the original iphone 2G on very early firmware versions.

Oh gotcha, i dont understand why when people find iphones they dont jusy call the owner up and say i got your iphone come collect it??? if someone found my phone id give them £80 as a replacement on these is £100 on excess!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
A 4S is worth more than an iphone 4. A 4S in working condition still brings around $250-350 in the US. Also you can sell it as is for parts so either way you will get something for it.

frodostar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
A 4S is worth more than an iphone 4. A 4S in working condition still brings around $250-350 in the US. Also you can sell it as is for parts so either way you will get something for it.

thanks mate, you have been most helpful.
good day sir.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.