Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I really don't see your problem with buying from the Refurbished Apple store. I have purchased a bunch of stuff there and most of the time the product I have received has seemed to be brand new. You still get the same warranty and everything that goes along with a new one. Sometimes they are brand new because someone may have purchased it and changed their mind and they can no longer sell them as new. They may have never been opened. It's worth checking out and talking to someone at the online apple store.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
No refurbs! Must be in mint condition, well I guess I'll check fry's...

Apple refurbs are actually brand new machines shipped back to the warehouse.

Ever notice how you aren't able to buy a previous gen at an Apple Retail Store (ARS)? When a new model of ANYTHING comes out the folks at ARS stay overnight packing away the old stock and shipping it back to Apple where it's stored there until someone buys it from the refurbed site.

There are CTO returns there, but as one would guess they are far and few between. There are never NEVER broken Macs that are brought back to working order. Apple parts those out and uses the working parts for repairs.

Apple's refurbed machines are the best you can get because they are 99% new and never used machines that still carry the standard warranty and are eligible for Apple Care.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Apple refurbs are actually brand new machines shipped back to the warehouse.

Ever notice how you aren't able to buy a previous gen at an Apple Retail Store (ARS)? When a new model of ANYTHING comes out the folks at ARS stay overnight packing away the old stock and shipping it back to Apple where it's stored there until someone buys it from the refurbed site.

There are CTO returns there, but as one would guess they are far and few between. There are never NEVER broken Macs that are brought back to working order. Apple parts those out and uses the working parts for repairs.

Apple's refurbed machines are the best you can get because they are 99% new and never used machines that still carry the standard warranty and are eligible for Apple Care.

I realize that. I want the origional box, not a white box. I have OCD, yes...

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Where can I find a new in box preloaded with lion base model is fine. Thanks

being an Apple Nerd, you should already know right? ;) just kidding

Your best bet is refurb store if you want guarenteed quality or check 2nd hand places like ebay, craigslist if you want to go with a bit more risk.

Honestly If I had to guess you are only wanting the old model because of a bunch of whiners right?

Let me tell you that the new 2012 runs very cold and silent whereas the 2011 version ran very hot and a lot louder. You miss out on USB3, you miss out on a laminated screen (improved quality) and to be honest, mountain lion is a tonne better than Lion. Lion is like of like the vista of os x.

PS. the price difference between 2011 on the refurb is only about $200 or so. I would gladly pay more than that to get USB3, laminated screen, colder and quieter design, fusion and the 680mx (which is double the performance of the top end iMac 2011)

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
being an Apple Nerd, you should already know right? ;) just kidding

Your best bet is refurb store if you want guarenteed quality or check 2nd hand places like ebay, craigslist if you want to go with a bit more risk.

Honestly If I had to guess you are only wanting the old model because of a bunch of whiners right?

Let me tell you that the new 2012 runs very cold and silent whereas the 2011 version ran very hot and a lot louder. You miss out on USB3, you miss out on a laminated screen (improved quality) and to be honest, mountain lion is a tonne better than Lion. Lion is like of like the vista of os x.

Yes but as I said above, I have OCD and the dock separator and active app lights bother me from mt lion but I like the lion/sl dock...

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Hey, you could buy a 27 iMac box on ebay for cheap, or even the forums.

Refurb iMacs are brand new as stated.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Where can I find a new in box preloaded with lion base model is fine. Thanks

At this point, you're unlikely to find that given that there was a good month or so in which remaining stock of both refurbished and new iMacs were the only iMacs being sold at all. But I'd check with your local third-party retailers.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Yes but as I said above, I have OCD and the dock separator and active app lights bother me from mt lion but I like the lion/sl dock...

Well you can tweak that, there are several guides, just a quick google search buddy. It is hardly a reason to sacrifice the performance gain in ML.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I would venture that your best and only bet would be an Apple Authorized Reseller that has old, unsold stock.

Connecting Point Computers in Medford Oregon would be one such Reseller. Last I knew (heard from someone), they even had one or more 24" iMac(s) in stock . . . . still.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I realize that. I want the origional box, not a white box. I have OCD, yes...

Sorry. Although, you can't have OCD and want to buy a product from an sketchy local sale via Craigslist.

Trying to buy a previous generation machine as if it were brand new only comes from Apple refurbed, and other vendors like Best Buy etc. Those machines will most likely have ML installed . . . .maybe 1 in stock at some remote store will have a ML install code you can use.

It'll be a tough find but good luck.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I would venture that your best and only bet would be an Apple Authorized Reseller that has old, unsold stock.

Connecting Point Computers in Medford Oregon would be one such Reseller. Last I knew (heard from someone), they even had one or more 24" iMac(s) in stock . . . . still.

That's actually kinda... Cool! :)

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks

could you please post their url?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.