Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Almost every single time I open it a full screen advertisement pops up from the bottom of the screen. You have to close it to use the app. This is extremely annoying, a huge hassle to do this almost every single time.

I tried other apps like Fandango and none come close to Flixster in terms of interface and layout. This is ridiculous, there should be a paid version available.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I tried other apps like Fandango and none come close to Flixster in terms of interface and layout. This is ridiculous, there should be a paid version available.

Maybe Flixster did the math and came to the conclusion that ads generate more money than 1 time in-app purchases do for them.

Also... they probably know exactly what you know... that Flixster has the best interface, and you will most likely stick with them and keep viewing their ads.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
is Flixter a paid app? I can accept a pop up here and there if it's a free app.

If it's paid, I may not be happy about it. I would reach out to the developer and let em know how you feel.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Maybe Flixster did the math and came to the conclusion that ads generate more money than 1 time in-app purchases do for them.

Also... they probably know exactly what you know... that Flixster has the best interface, and you will most likely stick with them and keep viewing their ads.
I think you're right. Sucks, supply and demand. It's still bad business practice though, I'm sure they could get just as much money for other less intrusive ads. They won't be on top forever and it will eventually come back to bite them in the ass.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I think you're right. Sucks, supply and demand. It's still bad business practice though, I'm sure they could get just as much money for other less intrusive ads. They won't be on top forever and it will eventually come back to bite them in the ass.

I don't think it will bite them in the ass. They may lose a few sensitive customers, but as long as the service continues to deliver I think they'll be just fine.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I don't think it will bite them in the ass. They may lose a few sensitive customers, but as long as the service continues to deliver I think they'll be just fine.

Apparently you don't use Flixster. It's the most intrusive and irritating popup I've ever seen, they will lose a lot of customers if they don't fix it.

It has nothing to do with being "sensitive". American consumers are some of the winiest, pickiest, most entitled people on earth. I have read and heard countless people complain about far pettier things. This is a glaring slap in the face to loyal users

Last edited:

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Apparently you don't use Flixster. It's the most intrusive and irritating popup I've ever seen, they will lose a lot of customers if they don't fix it.

It has nothing to do with being "sensitive". American consumers are some of the winiest, pickiest, entitled people on earth. I have read and heard countless people complain about far pettier things. This is a glaring slap in the face to loyal users

I just downloaded Flixter. Not a bad app. I just check the local movie times. I didn't see any abnormal pop ups. Felt smooth overall. Dare I say, snappier? :D

Not understanding the level of frustration your experiencing as I'm not seeing as many ads/ distractions in this app.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I just downloaded Flixter. Not a bad app. I just check the local movie times. I didn't see any abnormal pop ups. Felt smooth overall. Dare I say, snappier? :D

Not understanding the level of frustration your experiencing as I'm not seeing as many ads/ distractions in this app.

Yeah after deleting and reinstalling it is now less frequent but still there

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

Now it is back in full swing, every time I open the app! Arrggh! The greed of these companies will be their ultimate downfall, and the sad part is they could easily replace the money made from that obnoxious pop up ad with several more subtle and less intrusive ads.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
You really need to let this go. Don't sweat the small stuff. Surely, you have more pressing concerns in your life?

It's a free app.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
You really need to let this go. Don't sweat the small stuff. Surely, you have more pressing concerns in your life?

It's a free app.

Sure I do but I still like to tackle all sized problems

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Sure I do but I still like to tackle all sized problems

It's an issue YOU have no control over and are obsessing over.

Logically, you should just let it go. There will be no meeting of your expectations for a free app to be the way you think it should be. The issue here is, you have expectations that won't be fulfilled by complaining on a forum. You reach out to the dev and if they decide the ad revenue is not that important, but your expectations of how you think the app should work trumps the need for said pop up, then you might have something. Let us know how this goes.

This is not a problem for anyone other than yourself.

Good luck on tackling this real first world problem.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Apps that force you to view an ad upon opening find no home on my iPhone. I try the, if there is an ad, I delete it, no big deal. I support devs who offer a paid version with no ads both on iOS and Android.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It's an issue YOU have no control over and are obsessing over.

Logically, you should just let it go. There will be no meeting of your expectations for a free app to be the way you think it should be. The issue here is, you have expectations that won't be fulfilled by complaining on a forum. You reach out to the dev and if they decide the ad revenue is not that important, but your expectations of how you think the app should work trumps the need for said pop up, then you might have something. Let us know how this goes.

This is not a problem for anyone other than yourself.

Good luck on tackling this real first world problem.

And how exactly do I contact the dev?

I'm not complaining on a forum just to complain, I'm hoping to find relief in hearing other people have experienced the same issue

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I don't care if it's free, I'd be more than willing to pay for an ad-free version.

I tried multiple other apps and none of them comes close

American consumers are some of the winiest, pickiest, most entitled people on earth. I have read and heard countless people complain about far pettier things.

Can you point to a consumer like this? Between you, myphone7 and bonskovsky (same person perhaps?) I've only seen the highest level of discourse and certainly not picky about anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.