Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I guess it's safe to say there are a whole lot of us out there that agree, somewhat agree, or will never agree on what is the best purchase. So many different types of buyers out there. The way I look at it, These are the types I would say exist:

1) The type that just wants to be on the bleeding edge of tech that runs smooth no matter who makes it at the time of their upgrade/purchase. (That's Me)

2) The type that will only buy from one brand but is honest and realistic with that brands advantages and disadvantages. (Completely Legit and can't be faulted due to being honest)

3) The type that believes they are objective buyers by "attempting" to give another OS/Brand a try, but runs back on the first sign of a "problem." But at the same time will go to no ends resolving problems with their OS/Brand of choice. (Pathetic for kidding themselves for being "objective" in their "attempts.")

4) The type that is a blind follower of a brand and doesn't care how inferior that product may be, but admits to being a blind follower and bias. (Completely Legit and can't be faulted due to honesty)

5) The type that is a blind follower of a brand but won't admit it, and pretends to only care for functions/features that brand. All the while downplaying features/functions other brands have and not admitting how much they wish they had those other features. (Pathetic for not being honest.)

6) The type that doesn't care what they buy, but will just buy what's the best deal going at the time. Because in the end, all smartphones do a majority of what most users want. Texting and browsing the internet. ;) (Legit for looking for the best bargain and being realistic.)

So what type are you?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I'm 1 as well. I currently have an S3 but now I want to get a Note 2. I rarely keep a phone more than 2 or 3 months.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I just buy the phone I like the most...

Usually that's the iPhone. But recently, I've tried a Lumia 920 and One X+. Both had stellar hardware. Not so thrilled with iOS lately, so I'll prolly buy one of those brands next.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Well, I was a super happy iPhone 3GS user for 30 months and now have the S3. I also like to have an unlocked phone for when I'm abroad - I'm lacking a bit in that department at the moment (well, I have a Wildfire S but my work SIM is in that because the actual phone provided by work is a counter intuitive POS) so I may well go for a Nexus 4 to fill that gap.

In terms of my attitude to the phone, I can see the S3 lasting the 24 month duration of the contract (18 months to go now) but I have no qualms about simply buying the latest and greatest, at least if the latest and greatest knocks my socks off!

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Group 1.

Up until late 2011, this meant the iPhone. Android OS wasn't polished enough IMO to warrant a switch. This changed at the beginning of 2012. ICS was the first brick layed by Google in the road to mobile unification. JB has taken Android further and the hardware from many companies has grown to complement this.

Android and companies strive forward in small, but quick steps while Apple tends to lurch forward in reaction to an ever widening gap.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
For sure No.1. I want the most my money can buy, but not at the cost of running smoothly. Which for me means respectable battery life. HTC DNA does not fall in that category for me. And that's really too bad.

----------

Well, I was a super happy iPhone 3GS user for 30 months and now have the S3. I also like to have an unlocked phone for when I'm abroad - I'm lacking a bit in that department at the moment

Have you tried THIS. Worked for me and many others. Very Easy Unlock for the GS3 running Jellybean.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
For sure No.1. I want the most my money can buy, but not at the cost of running smoothly. Which for me means respectable battery life. HTC DNA does not fall in that category for me. And that's really too bad.

----------

Have you tried THIS. Worked for me and many others. Very Easy Unlock for the GS3 running Jellybean.

Oooh, thanks for that! I hope it's existence isn't the reason Orange took so long to approve Jelly Bean (they're still saying "soon").

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
Oooh, thanks for that! I hope it's existence isn't the reason Orange took so long to approve Jelly Bean (they're still saying "soon").

Wow, I just took a look for the UK (that's where I'm assuming you are), Orange and T-Mobile are the only ones yet to release Jellybean for the GS3. That's ridiculous, I thought American and Canadian carriers were slow.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Wow, I just took a look for the UK (that's where I'm assuming you are), Orange and T-Mobile are the only ones yet to release Jellybean for the GS3. That's ridiculous, I thought American and Canadian carriers were slow.

I'm on O2 in the UK and have had Jellybean on my S3 a while (OTA update was end of October I think it was), I got that Samsung suite upgrade also just before Christmas.:)

Last edited:

americanclassic

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
I'd say a mix of #1 and #6; I want the best bang-for-my-buck, but I want a device that won't be 6 generations past irrelevant by the time my contract is up. I'm not particularly loyal to any brand.

There are some people who buy new phones like 4-5x a year--I'm definitely not one of them lol. My device has to be ahead of the curve when I buy it, so I don't hate it by the second year.

Internaut

macrumors 65816

It's been a major source of frustration. Don't get me wrong, ICS is great but Jelly Bean has things I can use. Google now looks looks particularly good and the latest upgrade (before June, perhaps on Orange?) has the multi window facility.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I've had phones from all different brands so hold no bias. I have a Galaxy S3 because I genuinely believe that it is the best phone on the market (well note 2 is, but I can't afford that now)

Group 1

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I fall under number 6. I was actually going to get an iPhone 5 (coming from the 4) until I saw Radioshack had a great deal on the S3 - $99 upgrade w/ 2 yr renewal + $50 Google Play credit. This phone will probably last me at least 2-3 years, especially with all the custom ROMs that will be available long after Samsung drops its support.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Type 7 - the kind that doesn't think too much about it, just wants a phone that does what he needs it to.

I'll probably fall under type 7 as well, just need a phone that works. Haven't break down, don't need to replace it even if newer models are released.:)

Somewhat of type 6 too I guess...

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I probably fall under #1, but have been under #2 in the past.

Just got myself a Nexus 4 through eBay (luckily at the same cost as retail after taxes), since I wanted to finally mess around with Stock Android. Have had a Galaxy S3 in the past, but only kept it for 2 months while waiting for the iPhone 5.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I want quality and functionality but not necessarily the latest and greatest. At the moment, I'm very happy with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'd say a combo of 1, 2 and 6. I like iOS and Apple and prefer to buy Apple (#2) but acknowledge there are things iOS is lacking (though generally I don't care about these things - #6). While at the same time being curious about new hardware and software and wanting to poke around in each OS to a certain degree (#1).

:D

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
I'm a number 6 but that being said I do like things to be more current. They don't have to be super cutting edge, but I don't what anything too outdated either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.