Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Could somebody who uses a tethered iPad please tell me how it works and if it is slower than a 4G iPad? I have the feature available on my iPhone, but I've never used it.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I tether my mini to my iPhone all the time. Works fine. Never noticed a difference in speed between the tethered ipad and my iPhone natively. Don't have a cellular ipad to compare, but it tethers well.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I tether my mini to my iPhone all the time. Works fine. Never noticed a difference in speed between the tethered ipad and my iPhone natively. Don't have a cellular ipad to compare, but it tethers well.

I used to tether and can confirm the speeds are the same as you'd get on your iPhone. I can also confirm that the LTE iPad mini gets the same speeds as my iPhone 5 but they aren't consistent. My iPad just beat my iPhone in 3/4 tests using the same server.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Hazy, any problems with upload speeds? I got a Verizon LTE iPad that had horrible upload speed much worse than my Verizon iPhone 5 in the same place. I thought it was an aberration, so I returned it for another and had the same problem

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Hazy, any problems with upload speeds? I got a Verizon LTE iPad that had horrible upload speed much worse than my Verizon iPhone 5 in the same place. I thought it was an aberration, so I returned it for another and had the same problem

No, not at all. Of course I'm using an AT&T version, but my upload speeds are always good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.