Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cddirks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
i had seen many threads with folks that were deciding between dell, HP monitors, but fewer folks who had actually gone through and purchased a 27" IPS korean monitor. It seems to require a mini-DP - Dual Link DVI, where did everyone source one? direct from apple, or via monoprice.com?

how is the quality? I also noticed that monoprice.com is now stocking a 27" based on the IPS with a 5 dead pixel warranty, anyone jump on that?

personally i think the yamakashi monitors have the nicest cosmetics, but have wondered which one to jump on (Q271 retina maybe?) versus just bucking up and buying an imac 27".

love to hear other's experiences!

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
Instead of that 27" iMac, i went 27" TB diplay and a BTO mini. I'll only need to upgrade the mini every few years. Its a lot cheaper than buying consistently thinner and harder to open iMacs. Plus my 27"TB was a refurb for $825. So for the cost of a new one ($1K) i got a refurb with 3yrs of apple care.

Last edited:
Reactions: tennisproha

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Normally I'd be wary of a generic monitor brand, but they do say the panel itself is LG and monoprice does back it up with a year warranty.

That said, Dell currently offers a ZERO dead pixel guarantee. I wonder where all the rejected panels go? ;)

cddirks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Normally I'd be wary of a generic monitor brand, but they do say the panel itself is LG and monoprice does back it up with a year warranty.

That said, Dell currently offers a ZERO dead pixel guarantee. I wonder where all the rejected panels go? ;)

yes exactly. the mono price fascia is just so plain/boxy!!!

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
yes exactly. the mono price fascia is just so plain/boxy!!!

Dell is pretty boxy too, but hey... it's a black rectangle. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

I suspect that the generic ones from monoprice are using the panels that don't qualify to be used for Dell and others with stricter QC requirements. Meaning you might expect a dead pixel or two, but also at half the price. Seems like a better idea for LG to sell those at a reduced rate vs. just grinding them up.

cddirks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
BTW, i saw that CES blurbs about the monoprice monitor mention a later monitor that handles multiple resolutions. sounds a lot like the "Q271 retina"...

I'd love to hear from someone's experience using one of these witht he HD4000 integrated graphics, can it handle it?

macman05

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Instead of that 27" iMac, i went 27" TB diplay and a BTO mini. I'll only need to upgrade the mini every few years. Its a lot cheaper than buying consistently thinner and harder to open iMacs. Plus my 27"TB was a refurb for $825. So for the cost of a new one ($1K) i got a refurb with 3yrs of apple care.

What are the specs of your BTO mini?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.