Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryguy0587

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Need your help

I need to order a Mac asap and can't decide which is best. I am a start-up entrepreneur and use my mac for everything I do. I blog, do spreadsheets, word docs, browse and video editing. I run multiple things at once all the time and hate when things run slowly. I do like the lightness of the Air but it is not a deal maker for me. I have been using a MBP as of late and have no issues with it (it's not mine). My thoughts are the 13" AIR and max it out. or go with a basic i5 (or i7 if you think its worth the $250-$300 upgrade) MBP 13" and upgrade the Ram (either 8gb or 16gb) and HD to an 256 ssd and hopefully be set.

Need to get this sorted asap and can't find a definite answer one way or another, which may be a good thing

Thanks!

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Why don't you make a spread sheet of the pros and cons of both models? Then decide which ones are important in order on each one? :rolleyes:

But to be serious, I am a software engineer and I got an MBA with 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM and the i5. I'm happy. Best computer I've ever own. The weight of the MBP is so heavy (to me that is).

ryguy0587

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Why don't you make a spread sheet of the pros and cons of both models? Then decide which ones are important in order on each one? :rolleyes:

But to be serious, I am a software engineer and I got an MBA with 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM and the i5. I'm happy. Best computer I've ever own. The weight of the MBP is so heavy (to me that is).

haha ive done that but still can't decide. Also, i guess i dont notice the weight of the MBP since I dont have an MBA, but I agree it is light from looking at it in the store.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
haha ive done that but still can't decide. Also, i guess i dont notice the weight of the MBP since I dont have an MBA, but I agree it is light from looking at it in the store.
Light isn't the word I describe it as. I forget I have it on my back sometimes. Even though the new MBP are just under 5lbs I don't like it. I thought it was amazing a long time ago but not after the Air finally packs the performance punch I want.

SwampTony

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
For what it's worth, I'm also a start-up entrepreneur and
Have recently elected to go with a MBA refurbished through the apple store. It should be here tomorrow actually and it's the i7/8gb ram/256ssd. I do mainly the same stuff as you but I'm also going to do some CAD work as I'm a design engineer. I'll let you know how it runs when I get it tomorrow but from what I've heard you really can't go wrong with a MBA.

joheri

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
what you also need to consider is that you have more screem real estate on the MBA. The MBA has a resolution equal to the 15" MBP.

I love my MBA, by the way
(i7, 1,8 GHz)

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I think the weight of the MBP is going to make it cumbersome in all the traveling that you'll do. My route would be to get the Air and bump the specs up a bit to give it longevity and flexibility but not enough to put it on par with the expense of a MBP, ie 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD. Consider also a good display so when you're in the office you can conveniently have 2 docs open side-by-side.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For portability and speed (that wonderful flash drive), nothing beats the MBA. I have one and love it. For its time, the screen is also very good; however, the screen of the retina MBPs is better.

It really depends on what you want and need. If you need power, then choose the MBP. If portability matters (as it does to me, for I travel a lot), then nothing equals the MBA.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
"I run multiple things at once all the time and hate when things run slowly"

"Hate" huh? Then get the Pro.
I have both, and face it, the Air is slower. While the Air has matured, the Pro specs best it by a considerable margin. The reference to video editing alone may be the deal breaker here though.

ryguy0587

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
For what it's worth, I'm also a start-up entrepreneur and
Have recently elected to go with a MBA refurbished through the apple store. It should be here tomorrow actually and it's the i7/8gb ram/256ssd. I do mainly the same stuff as you but I'm also going to do some CAD work as I'm a design engineer. I'll let you know how it runs when I get it tomorrow but from what I've heard you really can't go wrong with a MBA.

Yes, please let me know your experiences.

----------

"I run multiple things at once all the time and hate when things run slowly"

"Hate" huh? Then get the Pro.
I have both, and face it, the Air is slower. While the Air has matured, the Pro specs best it by a considerable margin. The reference to video editing alone may be the deal breaker here though.

Thanks...Price wise, everything is very comparable especially if I buy the Prop and upgrade the SSD and Memory myself. I haven't seen many arguments against the Air, so its hard for me to rule it out. I also use dual monitors often if that makes my decision lean one way or the other from your experiences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.