Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
This guide will show you how to enable the battery percentage on the status bar, without jailbreaking your iPod touch. This means that it will work on ALL generations.

Stage 1: Setup
Download ibackupbot from this site:

http://www.icopybot.com/ibackupbot_setup.exe

Plug in your iPod touch, and in iTunes will automatically make a backup for you. If it doesn't you are set to make backups to iCloud. Change this in the settings on iTunes by clicking on your iPod and scrolling down, then backup the iPod onto iTunes.
Open ibackupbot, and click your most recent backup which should be located on the left side (each backup has a date associated with it, look for the newest one).
There will be a long list of files to choose from. Find:

Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist

and double click it. Hit cancel if there is a registration notice and it will still open.
After <dict> type this info in this format:

<key>SBShowBatteryLevel</key>
<true/>

You can also change your 'carrier' with:

<key>SBFakeCarrier</key>
<string>NEW NAME HERE</string>

Save the file using the button at the top left.

Stage 2: Restoring
Right click your backup in ibackupbot and hit restore. This will take about 5 minutes before being completed. You shouldn't have to do anything else now, as all your apps and data should have stayed on the iPod. If they didn't, a sync with iTunes will put them all back on again. All of your apps will retain their data from the previous backup.

To turn this feature off, you need to redo all those steps, but instead of adding text to the file you remove it.

I should note this information was from another post in these forums, but was neatened up by me. I've forgotten who posted it though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 977
Last edited:

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I tried it once back in the day it didn't work for me. However it has worked for some people.

My answer? Try it yourself, if you do it correctly it won't hurt your device. Back it up just in case.

marceljj

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
When it didn't work, was the iPod bricked? Or was it still working, just without the percentage?

EDIT: When I try to restore the backup from iBackupBot it says "Error Occurred, error code:-10". Any help?

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Um, what? You don't need to jailbreak at all. :confused:

Settings > General > Usage > Battery Percentage on.

Not complicated.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Um, what? You don't need to jailbreak at all. :confused:

Settings > General > Usage > Battery Percentage on.

Not complicated.

iPod touch doesn't have that feature by default.

----------

EDIT: When I try to restore the backup from iBackupBot it says "Error Occurred, error code:-10". Any help?

You could try restoring from the backup through iTunes, although I haven't tested it that way.

----------

For those having problems, make sure the text is written in the same format that the other 'keys' are written in. Make sure you also put it in the correct place. I put it directly after the <dict>.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Guide for iPod Touch 5G.

1) Buy old iPod Touch 3rd or 4th gen
2) Turn iCloud on
3) Jailbreak, install SB settings, turn battery percentage on
4) Restore iPod Touch 5G from iCloud

Done!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Guide for iPod Touch 5G.

1) Buy old iPod Touch 3rd or 4th gen
2) Turn iCloud on
3) Jailbreak, install SB settings, turn battery percentage on
4) Restore iPod Touch 5G from iCloud

Done!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the fifth gen touch will restore to an older OS that it shipped with?

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the fifth gen touch will restore to an older OS that it shipped with?

I restored my 5th gen touch on iOS 6 from an iCloud backup of a 4th gen touch on jailbroken iOS 5 as mentioned above.

Here's a screenshot I just took for proof it works:
258c4zb.jpg

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
The iBackupBot method worked for me back in the day on an iPhone 3G running iOS 4. No jailbreak, and the meter was accurate.

iamjoyful

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Worked well with my iPod Touch 5th Generation.

Followed the instruction and the percent value is now beside the battery icon. Thanks!

Ipod-touch-2408

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
I've done this ibackup method before but it said error on my computer using my iPod touch 4 using ios 6 and I'm trying to test it before I can do it with my red iPod 5

I will try this again...

Last edited:

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
Worked on my 4th gen. Though after running ibackupbot (w/ iTunes closed) it would not boot past apple logo. Opened iTunes again and the restore "finished" and booted just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.