Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpross123

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
Kentucky
I think they made a huge mistake with using 5400rpm hard drives, if you are going to spend at least 1300 on a desktop put a better hard drive in it! They are not that more expensive and they do make a difference

oldgeezer

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Maryland
It's an unsubstantial review. Yes, the 21" has a 5400 RPM drive but she says nothing about the 27"s 7200 RPM drive. She claims to speak for all of us about the lack of an optical drive, but there are many of us who use it so seldom it's not missed at all. For many of us design is an issue. My iMac sits prominently in my house and I appreciate the incredibly good looking package. Finally, she represents the new design as being totally unserviceable and yet if you read the blog about tearing down the new iMac you'll see comments that this machine is easier to work on than past generations. Yes, Apple holds the screen on with tape instead of magnets. But in order to achieve the screen lamination that cuts down much of the glare they had to. Magnets couldn't take the weight.

I certainly don't think this review is any more than a gloss over by someone who hasn't really done their homework.

skinny*k

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
California
It's an unsubstantial review...

I certainly don't think this review is any more than a gloss over by someone who hasn't really done their homework.

I think that the first paragraph says it all: "This article was originally published on Nemoscope, a blog about technology from a teen's perspective."

Myself, I don't usually seek or consider a teen's perspective when making buying decisions—no offense intended; I look for experience and other qualifications.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Kinda feels like she's hating for popularity. I mean come on, desktop stuck in a laptop body?

Little too similar to "The iMac is just a glorified laptop".

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
I got as far as where they defined RPM as 'Rounds per minute' and stopped reading. They don't know what they're talking about.

EDIT
Haha, didn't realise that @Binarymix essentially said the same thing ;)

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I got as far as where they defined RPM as 'Rounds per minute' and stopped reading. They don't know what they're talking about.

EDIT
Haha, didn't realise that @Binarymix essentially said the same thing ;)

Why are you @ing people like this is Twitter? Rofl

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
It's an unsubstantial review. Yes, the 21" has a 5400 RPM drive but she says nothing about the 27"s 7200 RPM drive. She claims to speak for all of us about the lack of an optical drive, but there are many of us who use it so seldom it's not missed at all. For many of us design is an issue. My iMac sits prominently in my house and I appreciate the incredibly good looking package. Finally, she represents the new design as being totally unserviceable and yet if you read the blog about tearing down the new iMac you'll see comments that this machine is easier to work on than past generations. Yes, Apple holds the screen on with tape instead of magnets. But in order to achieve the screen lamination that cuts down much of the glare they had to. Magnets couldn't take the weight.

I think it's what many of us have been saying right from the start - form over function. Apple has ruined the 21.5" version of the iMac. Viewed from the front (which is the view most of us have when using the iMac) it is identical to my mid 2011 model and I know which of the two I am pleased I own. I appreciate you are trying to put a brave face on it and justify your purchase but IMO the new iMac is a pile of pants.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Computer review?

Huffington Post?

Must be a very slow news day!

Her parents probably do not allow her access to iTunes so DVDs and CDs borrowed from her friends are essential to her entertainment needs.

I haven't had a need of a Superdrive in almost a decade as I source my entertainment needs from the web. Her complaint of lack of a Superdrive is like how people complained about the lack of a floppy drive nearly two decades ago with the original iMac.

If I did not do photography or video then the Air and iPad could easily be my main machines.

What allows Apple to easily charge more than Dell, HP, Lenovo, et al is the aesthetics and design of their products. If they did not push the envelop the competition would catch up to them with bargain basement knock offs.

Last edited:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I do agree with some points and i felt the same way until i actually started using my 27" iMac. After actually using it im very impressed and my previous fears of the smaller chassis causing heating issues have faded away. As for the optical drive, sure it would be convenient to still have it built in but for the amount of times i use it an external is fine. Also my 27" has a 7200rpm drive, actually it has one of the fastest platter drives on the market!!

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I think they made a huge mistake with using 5400rpm hard drives, if you are going to spend at least 1300 on a desktop put a better hard drive in it! They are not that more expensive and they do make a difference

A fusion drive should have been standard, even if it ended up being a 500gb 5400 rpm drive paired with a 64gb module. It doesn't seem to be affecting sales, or on second thought maybe it is since they have already added a fusion option now to the entry 21.5".

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah, it's not super in-depth. More like a long Amazon review.

But the criticisms are valid, especially the attitude of Apple to go for chic design at the expense of utility.

Hard drives should be user serviceable. Apple changes screw configurations just to thwart DIYers. Really? Disposable desktops. Just what the world needs.

I sure hope they resuscitate the Mac Pro. Love the iMac screen, but not gonna upgrade.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's not really here or there for me. They're analyzing from the standpoint of their own requirements. The yellow display complaints would be one of my concerns here. I still need to get to an Apple Store to see them up close, but I definitely wouldn't (personally) touch a first generation product here.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Kinda feels like she's hating for popularity. I mean come on, desktop stuck in a laptop body?

Little too similar to "The iMac is just a glorified laptop".

iPad on a stick how I describe it.

My new Mac Pro will crush your skinny new iMac....although it has a good chance of outrunning before that happens.

B

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
iFans were expecting a retina display, primary SSD option and significantly better graphics. In this long-awaited December update, Steve's elves delivered essentially nothing.

Wow lol.

We were not expecting a retina display because we knew the current best in the world GPU couldn't power that size screen.

We do have a primary SSD option.

We have the one of the best GPUs on the market.

I don't think that is nothing. This article is clearly biased and against Apple. Just another ruthless Apple hating sheep.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Her parents probably do not allow her access to iTunes so DVDs and CDs borrowed from her friends are essential to her entertainment needs.

I haven't had a need of a Superdrive in almost a decade as I source my entertainment needs from the web. Her complaint of lack of a Superdrive is like how people complained about the lack of a floppy drive nearly two decades ago with the original iMac.

If I did not do photography or video then the Air and iPad could easily be my main machines.

What allows Apple to easily charge more than Dell, HP, Lenovo, et al is the aesthetics and design of their products. If they did not push the envelop the competition would catch up to them with bargain basement knock offs.

if you look at her other posts you can see she is extremely anti apple. She uses windows and ubuntu and mocks Apple every article she writes. I think Apple shot her dog.

----------

iPad on a stick how I describe it.

My new Mac Pro will crush your skinny new iMac....although it has a good chance of outrunning before that happens.

B

You know the iMac is outperforming the most recent Mac Pros right? lol

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
QUOTE "But the criticisms are valid, especially the attitude of Apple to go for chic design at the expense of utility."

Quit with the sour grapes about the review. Yes, the rounds per minute is silly, but if you go back and read the reviews on these same forums, particularly the early ones, her basic criticisms are widely agreed upon. Making the 2012's slimmer or lighter while giving up the built in ODD was a costly mistake IMHO and of many others as stated in these forums.

I had to include an external ODD in my order to input audio not available on line and Turbotax and lots of other non Apple stuff but help Apple hold the cost by probably $25.

It's hard to find a good reason for the 5400 drives.

Closing the 21" to adding RAM by the owner IS dumb.

It's still a great update and my order was placed on 12/18 for a 27" 8GB 3TB FD 680MX-BUT.......

I would have preferred a 21", but 1TB isn't enough for my music and photos, and with the growth of software, IMHO 8GB isn't going to be enough RAM fairly soon, but Apple wants an arm and a leg for RAM anyone else sells for far less, and the 21" is closed anyhow.

Same for growth of processing of game graphics and the GPUs.

The FD is an admission by Apple that they should be using more SDD already.

They're the technology leader - right? Well they used to be:(

That's why I've been using Macs since my first Little Mac in 1984 - through about a dozen of the things - up to now anyhow.

So, for the sake of a 5 mm edge and a few pounds of irrelevant weight, I get suckered into spending about an extra $800. OK, amortizing it over the years, I'll enjoy a great machine, but it wasn't necessary.

I think the review is generally on target.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
if you look at her other posts you can see she is extremely anti apple. She uses windows and ubuntu and mocks Apple every article she writes. I think Apple shot her dog.

You bothered reading her other posts? I see this in two lights. A) She has no money thus whines about iMacs for not having everything or B) she is trying to get more hits for her blog.

Having the display integrated into the system doesn't add anything, said people back in 1998. All-in-ones still aren't the norm with people opting for a separate LCD and ATX case.

Do most people open up the ATX to drop in memory, storage or daughter cards? Probably not.

Last edited:

DelMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
If a 2012 iMac is your 1st Mac then congrats. It's a beauty of a visual and I can see someone in that position wanting to defend it like it's their kid. But to someone like myself who has owned multiple iterations of Macs, I expected more. When the dimensions of the iMac make a bigger splash than what's inside of the Mac itself, to me it's not a good sign.

The only thing that impresses me about the new Mac is that it's 11 pounds lighter than before. That's way more significant than a thinner edge especially when you need to move it around for whatever reason. I'm surprised they haven't marketed a real positive like its weight reduction like they have the all too important thinner edge.

With that said, the 2012 Mac is an easy Steve Nash no look pass for me. Can't wait to see what Apple surprises us with down the line whether good or bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.