Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crovali

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I'm attempting to do a Bootcamp install of Windows 7 on my late 2012 iMac at the moment and I'm wondering how much space I need for Windows. I'd only be using Windows for gaming. I'm also in school for computer science but not using any computer programs for my future profession as of yet so I don't know large the programs that I will be using are. How much space do you guys recommend I partition for Windows? 100GB? 200GB? Thanks!

Knuckleheadz

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
United Kingodm
Really depends what kind of games you are playing... most come on a DVD or dual layer DVD I think (although not gamed for a long time) so that is potentially 7GB compressed... could be 10-15GB uncompressed.

What size is the HDD on your iMac? What do you intend to use the iMac for?

crovali

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Really depends what kind of games you are playing... most come on a DVD or dual layer DVD I think (although not gamed for a long time) so that is potentially 7GB compressed... could be 10-15GB uncompressed.

What size is the HDD on your iMac? What do you intend to use the iMac for?

HDD size is 1TB. this is a 2012 imac so theres no optical drive. ill probably buy an external if i decide that i really need one. like i said before, id only be using windows for gaming and for school/work related programs that im currently not yet using. im thinking 150-200GB should be fine, right?

Knuckleheadz

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
United Kingodm
Ahh yes... a lot of stuff comes delivered from the cloud (I still play my trusty XBOX360) so they could be quite big games I guess..

If you're tidy about how you install games and uninstall games you're not fussed about or finished then you can manage your free space...

Bear in mind 15% free is an absolute minimum... If you think you aren't gonna use much on the Mac side of the OS and more on the Windows side then why not just cut it in half since it sounds like the Mac side isn't going to get too much use.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
i am also just using boot camp for gaming
not too many games i just put 95 GBs
i thought that was reasonable
i already have planetside 2 and natural selection 2

crovali

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
50-75% on windows? no thats far too much. I have a 1TB fusion drive. honestly i think 150 GB should be enough for windows. I will spend most of my time on OSX

Old King Coal

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm attempting to do a Bootcamp install of Windows 7 on my late 2012 iMac at the moment and I'm wondering how much space I need for Windows.

Just recently installed Windows 7 via Boot Camp on my MBP. Windows 7 required 20 GB. I partitioned only 60GB for Windows as my Win software requirements are minimal.

Last edited:

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I don't store much in my partition, but I learned that I should have had more space to accomodate upgrades. Win 8 needed 20gb and I have 15 free.

I had to delete the partition and start over with all my app installs.... so plan ahead. I did 60gb this time. I had 40gb last time with 15gb free space.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I did 120GB for windows 8 and the only game I'm playing is DayZ. I created a virtual hard disk inside it to launch the game from and download all the maps to , that was 50GB. I think total space left on my C drive as it tells me already less than 60 or 70. Depends on how many games you want I guess. I would think anywhere from 150 to 200GB should be enough for casual gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.