Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theGuest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hi all,

I am trying to hardcode subtltes to an .mp4 movie file via Handbrake. I have read that the way to do this is to go to the subtitles menu and choose Add external.srt then choose the srt with the same movie file name. Then click all three forced only, burned in and default boxes.

My problem is that the burned in box is not allowing me to click it - It's greyed out. I also thought that the Forced only option alone would do the trick in hardcoding the subtitles but no luck. While I am able to choose subtitles in Quicktime, I am trying to view the movie on a TV via USB. The TV does not allow me to choose the subtitles option so the subtitles need to be burned in and essentially apart of the final movie file.

I thought the fact that the movie already has some hardcoded subs that are apart of the original feature might be the problem... but I cant see how.

Please Help!

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Hi all,

I am trying to hardcode subtltes to an .mp4 movie file via Handbrake. I have read that the way to do this is to go to the subtitles menu and choose Add external.srt then choose the srt with the same movie file name. Then click all three forced only, burned in and default boxes.

My problem is that the burned in box is not allowing me to click it - It's greyed out.

It is grayed out and non clickable because HB cannot burn an srt (which are text subs) to a video track, which it can for dvd sub (which are bitmaps).

To do the former would require hb had ocr (optical character recognition) which it doesn't. So .srts can only be added as a soft sub text track.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.