Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I don't own an iPad but I've been thinking about getting one.

I was talking to a friend about this. While at home if I'm casually using my Mac, I'm normally sitting on my couch. I was wondering, if I should get an iPad, would it be best to keep it plugged in or just let it run down like I do my iPhone.

I asked how she used hers and she said that it's bad for the battery to keep anything plugged in when it doesn't need to be.

I said that's rubbish because I keep my MBP plugged in most of the time... but I do use it quite a bit not plugged in, especially now that I can go 3-5 hours unplugged.

So I opened up coconutBattery and I'm seeing my battery capacity is at 80%. I looked at coconutBattery online and it shows mine at 4589 mAh (designed 5770 mAh) while others are averaging 4998 mAh.

So now I'm wondering what's best?

Maybe I should just post this in the MBP section?

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
I have iPads, other tablets, phones and all and I've read a lot in the booklets that come with them and online about the best way to care for the battery. From what it all says, you should plug in only when charging and unplug when its done. I charge all my devices once they hit around 15% battery life, and unplug as soon as they reach 100%. And they say once a month or so to let the battery drain completely until it powers down then recharge to 100%. I think that is the best way to keep the batteries in good shape as long as possible. Its just my input about it. I know that its gonna vary from person to person. Hope ya go for the iPad and enjoy it!

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Thanks. I've always just done what was needed, but thought if I'm going to be sitting around for a couple of hours or so, why not just plug it in? I would need to buy a longer cable so maybe a USB extension from monoprice might work.

And I'm just not sure on the iPad. It's a lot to drop on something and I'll either use that a lot and leave the MBP laying around or leave the iPad laying around.

I might get a used/refurbed older model so I'll save money and see if it's really worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.