Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iamgort

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
So I use plex for anything that isn't iTunes DRM, but what do you guys use for home theater with itunes purchased stuff on a tv-connected mac computer? I have a mac mini hooked up to my living room computer and plex is great for it but as far as I know I can't play itunes DRM stuff with it, so I'm stuck still having a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad out for when I want to navigate my iTunes library.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
In our home theater, we use an Apple TV for iTunes, Netflix and Hulu Plus and an HTPC for the rest. I got the Apple TV mainly because I wanted an easy way to play music in our theater by using our iPhones/iPad (or a MacBook if I'm working down there) as the interface. I've always hated using a 10' UI for selecting a song to play.

I then found myself using the Apple TV for Netflix and Hulu Plus since I prefer Apple TV's interface to the various HTPC alternatives. The HTPC is mainly there just to play movies from my library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.